WotC WotC Community Update from DnDBeyond, Creator Summit Preliminary Thoughts.

darjr

I crit!
WotC has updated the Community Update page for April 7th, 2023 with some preliminary thoughts on the Creator Summit thanking everyone who took part and giving a mea culpa. They state what they think they did wrong and how they are moving forward. Importantly they don’t seem to have given up.

• Running a digital/physical event meant that the experience was subpar for both: Moving forward we'll more carefully consider those experiences and explore alternative approaches that meet our accessibility goals.
  • Conversations start better from a shared understanding: The topics you pushed for were important to have, but we should have been better prepared for them. In the future, we’ll give you an opportunity to weigh in on the agenda of events like these ahead of time.
  • We need to come to you, whether virtually, at conventions, or other locations fans already gather. Updates on what these events look like will be announced here in our Community Update space.

Last edited:

Waller

Legend
Nice, and an email link for direct contact. Thats...brave.
Not really. It's just an admin mailbox. They give a few admin bods the job of sorting through them and collating the data. It's not like they've given out Chris Perkins' own email address.

Plus it's a good technique for directing peoples' criticisms into a private channel rather than them posting them publicly on social media where people can see them. Let them vent into an email inbox that only a couple of staffers will see, and the socials looks much better.

Not saying that's what they're doing, but surveys and dedicated emails for controversial topics are frequently handled like that for those exact reasons.

Retreater

Legend
I was under the impression that the creators submitted questions before the event - so I'm confused how WotC could have been surprised by the topics.

dave2008

Legend
I was under the impression that the creators submitted questions before the event - so I'm confused how WotC could have been surprised by the topics.
That is not quite the case. IIRC, Alphastream explained it more on his blog post about the event. It is a good read. However, he says attendees were asked about their "expectations" of the event. And only a few days before the event.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend

I assume that the questions submitted were on different topics than the ones that were actually brought up.

Here is part of what Alphastream (who as at the event) had to say about this issue:

Improvement Area – Agenda: Perhaps the biggest mistake WotC made was in not providing an agenda prior to or even during the event! All we knew ahead of time was “Morning Sessions” and “Afternoon Sessions” and then logistics. This led attendees to assume that their issue(s) would be discussed. We were asked a few days prior about our expectations, but I would guess this was not done early enough to collect information properly and act upon it. As we will see, the lack of an agenda really impacted everyone.

You can read his first two blog posts on the event are below. They are a good read and give you a much better picture of the event than I got from reading the transcripts and online reaction. The first is an overall review of the event and the 2nd is more in-depth in specific areas. He has one or two more planned.

Assessing the D&D Creator Summit
The Community Rises at the D&D Creator Summit

Basically this was a huge event that was put together quickly and they didn't give enough time to communicating with the attendees prior to the event. Relevantly, WotC has already address some of the issues Alpha talks about:

April 2023 Creator Summit: Preliminary Thoughts

Remove ads