WotC WotC Community Update from DnDBeyond, Creator Summit Preliminary Thoughts.

dave2008

Legend
Because then they decided to have an AMA period and people took them at their word.
I am not sure what point you are trying to get across. However, the AMA was added because the questions they were getting were not related to the presentations they were giving. So the asked the attendees and more than half wanted to have these off-agenda discussions. So WotC quickly tried to accommodate them. I think that is good on both sides.

The issue, as alphastream pointed out, was the attendees were not given an agenda so they had no idea what they were getting into.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am not sure what point you are trying to get across.
Q: "Hey, why did they ask questions WotC was unprepared for?"

A: "Because WotC said, hey, ask us anything!"

That things would go off-script was predictable, as anyone who used the AMA acronym should have known. That it went quite so off the rails, though, was probably a surprise to nearly everyone.

dave2008

Legend
Q: "Hey, why did they ask questions WotC was unprepared for?"

A: "Because WotC said, hey, ask us anything!"

That things would go off-script was predictable, as anyone who used the AMA acronym should have known. That it went quite so off the rails, though, was probably a surprise to nearly everyone.
However that is not quite what happend.

Attendees starting asking questions not related to the VTT session they were in. From Alphastream's blog:

"When lunch was followed by another VTT discussion, the questions began to shift. One after another, the attendee questions were about equity, accessibility, creator support, localization, hiring and promoting marginalized staff, trust, and problematic content."

Wizards tried to direct things back to the agenda. When that didn't worked. They hastily added another session which became the AMA session. My point is that session was never planned, and the attendees were asking questions unrelated to what was presented initially. So it is no surprise the presenter of the VTT wasn't prepared to discuss them. Regarding the AMA, Alpha said this:

"This pivot was not easy. I know when I have arranged professional events, I put a lot of energy into preparation and I can be slow to pivot (something I am trying to improve). To their credit Wizards provided the extra time and worked through very difficult moments. Staff jumped in, covering blind spots – which speaks to how important it was that Wizards had dedicated so many staff to being present."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
However that is not quite what happend.

Attendees starting asking questions not related to the VTT session they were in. From Alphastream's blog:

"When lunch was followed by another VTT discussion, the questions began to shift. One after another, the attendee questions were about equity, accessibility, creator support, localization, hiring and promoting marginalized staff, trust, and problematic content."

Wizards tried to direct things back to the agenda. When that didn't worked. They hastily added another session which became the AMA session. My point is that session was never planned, and the attendees were asking questions unrelated to what was presented initially. So it is no surprise the presenter of the VTT wasn't prepared to discuss them. Regarding the AMA, Alpha said this:

"This pivot was not easy. I know when I have arranged professional events, I put a lot of energy into preparation and I can be slow to pivot (something I am trying to improve). To their credit Wizards provided the extra time and worked through very difficult moments. Staff jumped in, covering blind spots – which speaks to how important it was that Wizards had dedicated so many staff to being present."
OK, I just saw @brimmels referring to an AMA session. I didn't realize the chaos had started earlier. (WotC and their weekday marketing events!)

But yes, as WotC is copping to, this all comes down to a lack of a clear agenda and mutual understanding of what everyone wanted out of this event.

Happily, it looks like everyone is moving forward in just about the ideal manner from here, so the next event should be much better for all concerned.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
No one should be surprised that the VTT and Beyond leadership were unable to answer most of those topics

Remove ads