WotC Fall 2009 Catalog report

Shemeska

Adventurer
You know, this might be the second 4e book that I buy just for the details on Sigil. Unless they hack it to death.

I'll take a look at it in the store to be sure, but I'm not honestly sure what to expect. Given 4e design focus thus far, I'm worried as you say that it might be hacked to death. I'll give the authors the benefit of the doubt, though I'm not aware of any of them having worked on anything planar (except for Laws co-authoring FC:II, which wasn't bad).

I'm surprised that Schwalb wasn't brought in to help on the Sigil writeup, given the really good job that he did with the City of Doors, and some of the factions in a DDI article on the Mercykillers. If they hold to that level of quality I'll be very happy, but again given how 4e has handled previous planar concepts so far, I'm still leery.

chaotix42

First Post
Hmmm, I'll have to check out the DMG2 before I purchase it. I bought the 3.5 DMG2 and it didn't really do anything for me. Even if it doesn't tickle my fancy the crunchy bits will still go up in the Compendium, right?

Dragon Mag Annual Vol. 1 I'll probably skip too, having a DDI subscription and all. A cool resource for those who don't, though!

Draconomicon II, The Plane Below, & Primal Power are all must-gets though! Thanks, thalmin!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'll take a look at it in the store to be sure, but I'm not honestly sure what to expect. Given 4e design focus thus far, I'm worried as you say that it might be hacked to death. I'll give the authors the benefit of the doubt, though I'm not aware of any of them having worked on anything planar (except for Laws co-authoring FC:II, which wasn't bad).
Well, I'm sure there will be changes to Sigil. I'm just hoping they don't dump the city's entire background. Hopefully its good. Still, it have to be real good for me to want to buy DMG2 since I likely won't care much about anything else in the book. :-S

I'm surprised that Schwalb wasn't brought in to help on the Sigil writeup, given the really good job that he did with the City of Doors, and some of the factions in a DDI article on the Mercykillers. If they hold to that level of quality I'll be very happy, but again given how 4e has handled previous planar concepts so far, I'm still leery.
Different times... different authors. I doubt WotC would make a special effort to get a specific author to work on a particular book.

I don't have access to DDI so I can't say about the article you mentioned. However, I'm reading the 4e Manual of the Planes and I can honestly say I'm enjoying it. The new cosmology would never replace my own cosmology but it has tidbits that I could see adding to my Mirrored Cosmology. I really liked the Feywild chapter. :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
What extra value is there in getting the Dragon Mag Annual if I already have a DDI sub?
Unless your really interested in that behind the scenes stuff I doubt much. It probably is almost entirely tailored for those without a sub.

I am personally looking forward to:
DMG2: More Skill Challenge goodness and finally Trap Rules. As well, as of course Sigil, I have extremely enjoyed their planar stuff so far, so greatly looking forward to Sigil. Will be nice to have lots more resources when I play games in my Sigil.

Planes Below: More planar goodness! Plus, I am greatly pleased that it will be including the Abyss, I like my demons :p Also a recent campaign idea I have been having ( http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/253399-brainstorming-city-within-wall.html ) would be greatly served by this book.

Primal Power: Next to Martial, Primal is my favourite Power Source out right now. So you know I will be getting this book, more goodness for Shaman, Warden, Druid and Barbarian, yes please. I think when all the Power Sources are out it will still rank highly for me alongside Martial and hopefully Psionics and Shadow (with a special call out to Warlock from Arcane).

The only other one that somewhat interests me but I will be just relying on DDI to get stuff from is Draconomicon 2. I don't really need dragon fluff.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Just got the Wizards of the Coast Fall 2009 Catalog. Here goes.

D&D
Dungeon Master's Guide 2

Sold.

Dragon Magazine Annual, Volume 1

I've enjoyed my DDI sub but there has been a dearth of ecologies, dragon's beastiary, bizarre of the bazzar, legends & lords, etc... So unless I'm dying for some hard print copy, probably pass.

Primal Power

This may be the first "Power" book I skip unless I start being a player. As a GM, the Primal Power source didn't grab me and I don't see a need to support it unless I'm actually using it as a player.

E3 Prince of Undeath

Probably. Probably...

Sinister Woods Dungeon Tiles

Why do they call this terrain eh? Tiles yes, terrain no. Fat Dragon Games on the other hand...

Draconomicon 2: Metallic Dragons

Yup. I hope they do Ferrous Dragons next. Or Gem.

Arcane Power Cards

Did I mention I love the DDI?

The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos

Another easy buy.

Monster Manual: Savage Encounters
So will the game stats on these be right? Will they include XP on the encounter cards? Will they have actual utility outside of the miniatures? Haven't seen any of the 'new' random sets to judge paintjobs but I've got hope.

Wraith Form

Explorer
A whole lot of nothing.

Really. Not to be a 'richardwad' or anything, but I won't be buying any of these books. None of them seem all that appealing. especially interesting as the Summer 2009 catalog is filled with tantalizing little treats...

I suppose that's good, as the Star Wars books have a whole lot of sexiness about them. And they're $5 to $10 more per book than the D&D stuff!

Last edited:

Remove ads