WotC Fall 2009 Catalog report

Yup. I hope they do Ferrous Dragons next. Or Gem.

I can't speak with any authority on what WotC may or may not do, but I wouldn't count on this; to the best of my knowledge, such dragon types don't exist--or at least haven't been confirmed as existing--in 4E at all.

According to the MM, the five dragon families acknowledged in 4E (so far, anyway) are the chromatic, metallic, planar, scourge (aka linnorms), and catastrophic dragons.

While the planar dragons aren't really a family unto themselves--some of them appeared as variants or relatives of the chromatics in Draconomicon I--I'd expect that we'd see books on the other two types already announced before there'd be any chance of covering types not yet introduced.

(Acknowledgment of personal bias: I personally never cared for the gem dragons, and I think the minimal descriptions we've gotten of the scourge and catastrophic dragons sound really cool, so the above is not only what I expect, but also what I hope. That fact aside, however, I also believe that my reasoning is fairly solid on this. I can't imagine they'd introduce a dragon type into the game and then ignore it in favor of a new type that hasn't yet gotten so much as a name check in the current edition.)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, I suspect you're right.

And to me, this is part of my problem with 4e. Not that there isn't some great stuff in it, but I want all of my old stuff updated.

And I want it now.

For example, there are a ton of things in the Forgotten Realms that could easily be updated that would be like the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide in that it'd be useful for all settings. Prayers for the Faithful, The Magister, and Pages from the Mages jumpt to mind immediately for example. Who can't use more magic items and spells eh?

I worry that WoTC is so 4e that the thing that made up D&D for 40 years are being left in the "we'll get to it" pile in favor of new things which while cool, are not the things I'd have personally wanted to see first.

I can't speak with any authority on what WotC may or may not do, but I wouldn't count on this; to the best of my knowledge, such dragon types don't exist--or at least haven't been confirmed as existing--in 4E at all.

According to the MM, the five dragon families acknowledged in 4E (so far, anyway) are the chromatic, metallic, planar, scourge (aka linnorms), and catastrophic dragons.

While the planar dragons aren't really a family unto themselves--some of them appeared as variants or relatives of the chromatics in Draconomicon I--I'd expect that we'd see books on the other two types already announced before there'd be any chance of covering types not yet introduced.

(Acknowledgment of personal bias: I personally never cared for the gem dragons, and I think the minimal descriptions we've gotten of the scourge and catastrophic dragons sound really cool, so the above is not only what I expect, but also what I hope. That fact aside, however, I also believe that my reasoning is fairly solid on this. I can't imagine they'd introduce a dragon type into the game and then ignore it in favor of a new type that hasn't yet gotten so much as a name check in the current edition.)

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
And don't forget the price increase. I believe it's 5 figs for the old cost of 8?

Yes, I believe that's correct. As mentioned, that's part of the cost of moving to a semi-nonrandomized model. (It doesn't help that in the past year or so, the cost of everything that even touches minis production has skyrocketed.)

Personally, I think that's going to be offset by the removal of the PC and skirmish-oriented minis. If I'm right, while the price-per-mini is going up, the price-per-mini-I-actually-want may stay pretty flat. . . .

Personally the only things on that list I'm looking forward to are the SW Galaxy at War supplement and the corresponding minis expansion. But then again, I'm a bit biased on that count ;)

Edit: D'oh! Dunno how I forgot about the droid book. I've long felt droids got the short end of the stick in both the current and prior editions (save perhaps for the Hero's Guide for the RCR).

But I guess of the two, G@W is the one I'm mostly curious to see.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
If I'm right, while the price-per-mini is going up, the price-per-mini-I-actually-want may stay pretty flat. . . .
According to my preliminary calculations that will be the case for me, as well.

Since I'm not a DDI subscriber I'm also looking forward to the Dragon collection. I really hope they've been careful about selecting only the truly remarkable, most useful and balanced stuff.

drothgery

First Post
Personally the only things on that list I'm looking forward to are the SW Galaxy at War supplement and the corresponding minis expansion. But then again, I'm a bit biased on that count ;)

I'd say the same, except I'm not a huge minis fan, so just the SWSE rulebook.

I may pick up DMG2 (because I may DM 4e someday) and the SWSE Droids book (mostly because not getting it would mean there are SWSE books I don't own), but maybe not, too.

Last edited:

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher

Since iron dragons have been confirmed as metallic, I wouldn't be surprised if the other ferrous dragons got folded into metallic as well.

I for one would be disappointed if gem dragons never made an appearance. (Hoping for MM3 to go along with the psionic classes I hope are in PHB3).

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Gem Dragons could perhaps be also transferred into other Dragon types as well. We have already gotten one form of a psychic dragon in the Draconomicon with the Purple Dragon.

I for one would be disappointed if gem dragons never made an appearance. (Hoping for MM3 to go along with the psionic classes I hope are in PHB3).

Again, I can't say for certain--I honestly don't have any "inside knowledge" on this one--but I'd expect not, for the same reasoning I gave for the Draconomicons, above. I expect that WotC won't be putting new dragon types in the MMs until they've fleshed out all the types named so far in the first MM.

Remove ads