WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Ridiculous isn't it?

I don't think people realise that these "CORPORATIONS" are the only entities that will provide for us in our retirements, now that pensions are a thing of the past.

You obviously are not a union man or a politician in California, 'cause their some of their pensions are to die for (as in people get paid up to 60-75% of their final years pay ANNUALLY regardless of whether they end up staying retired or seek reemployment 6 months later).

Last edited:

evilref

Explorer
There is a report button for when you really believe it could be a troll.
And there is a quote button if you want to discuss the content of the post.

Better not to mix these things.

I'm sure many people are in need of patronising somewhere, maybe you could go help them.

AllisterH

First Post
There _IS_ a way that WOTC could have a policy where it doesn't have an annual layoff policy.

Either freeze salaries OR hire freelancers OR a combination of the two.

Of course, both of those have their own drawbacks as well...(As someone who has been a freelancer/contractor in an entirely different field..I hated it with a passion)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
There _IS_ a way that WOTC could have a policy where it doesn't have an annual layoff policy.

Either freeze salaries OR hire freelancers OR a combination of the two.

Of course, both of those have their own drawbacks as well...(As someone who has been a freelancer/contractor in an entirely different field..I hated it with a passion)
Or they could go for an entirely web based buisness model for their 'print' products, thus getting rid of their printing fees, or they could cut the number of products they release each year or raise prices.

Problem is, which option would be acceptable to their employees and which would be acceptable to the consumer?

Snoweel

First Post
This has to be a very badly thought out troll...surely?

I.... yeah, not worth going into the many ways this is wrong and insulting.

No more insulting than yelling TROLL!!!! at anybody who says something you don't like eh?

Don't worry mate, I know exactly where the Report button is.

Snoweel

First Post
You obviously are not a union man or a politician in California, 'cause their some of their pensions are to die for (as in people get paid up to 60-75% of their final years pay ANNUALLY regardless of whether they end up staying retired or seek reemployment 6 months later).

Wow, they should really attract the top applicants then shouldn't they?

Just like WotC should only attract employees who are prepared for the possibility of a Christmas time layoff.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
It appears that this began back in the 1990s, from what I can gather from various sources, such as the Death of the Minotaur article on Salon.com. That's when WotC started its big push for brand management (Disney was their idol in that regard) and brought in consultants all the time to "improve" things.

Don't be too dismissive of things like this.

In the mid-90s, WotC went from being a garage operation to a 700 MILLION dollar company in the space of a few years. From three or four people to over 700. Can you imagine trying to ride that bronco?

I've long felt that the company's single most impressive feat has nothing to do with game design. It's managing that explosion without completely falling to shambles.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Don't worry mate, I know exactly where the Report button is.

And yet, you went with public confrontation anyway? Not exactly the wisest move.

Folks, cut out the bickering and poking at each other already.

Last edited:

If a tiny publisher with half a dozen employees sacks someone, it's most likely in order to stay viable. Hasbro doesn't have that excuse, and regular Christmas lay-offs look like outright bastardry. If it's not, an explanation should be forthcoming to customers.
If anyone deserves an explanation, it's the person being sacked. The customers shouldn't expect anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads