WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herschel

Adventurer
You obviously are not a union man or a politician in California, 'cause their some of their pensions are to die for (as in people get paid up to 60-75% of their final years pay ANNUALLY regardless of whether they end up staying retired or seek reemployment 6 months later).

But it is all trade-offs, is it not? Generally speaking one takes a slightly smaller pay scale (or pays union dues) in order to have (in theory) more security and said pension in the public sector.

Then the question in the niche market is 'would I rather design for a game I love and the inherent risks, or write policy manuals or work with peoples' feces?'

diaglo

Adventurer
The 2008 thread was started by Eric Noah and was closed on Dec 8, 2008. so I didn't bump it. but you can certainly find more there on past goings on.

it seems Dec 4 is the usual day for the announcement. at least when we look at the 2005, 2006, 2008 and now 2009 threads.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Really layoff's at Christmas is no surprise. I know quite a few people withing the last 20 years taht had their layoffs at christmas. I think it is just when a lot of companies end their fiscal year.

Paul_Klein

Explorer
This is just me speculating, but I wonder if layoffs before Christmas are intentional (for many companies, not just WotC) for other reasons. Christmas is generally time of getting together with family, which is often times just what a recently layed-off person might need - for support and advice. Kinda like the whole, "we do lay offs on Fridays because the weekend helps minimize incidents," thing.

Sure, it's also generally a time of increased spending, but I'm sure each person layed-off got some sort of severance package, so the little ones can still have toys under the tree and all.

Anyway, continue on.

rjdafoe

Explorer
So why, exactly, can't WotC layoff people again? They owe something to the customers? I really can't wrap my head around this. Small companies can let people go to stay viable but larger ones can't? Are large companies immune to recessions? What a bizarre double standard.

I think there would be less scrutiny if this was not a yearly occurance.

If the conpany was being run correctly why do they need a yearly layoff to be "viable". This happened when there was no recessions as well, so you can't attribute it to that.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think there would be less scrutiny if this was not a yearly occurance.

If the conpany was being run correctly why do they need a yearly layoff to be "viable". This happened when there was no recessions as well, so you can't attribute it to that.

There are well and appropriately run companies that go through annual layoff cycles - but they have the honesty to call it seasonal employment.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
As an aside - does anybody know if Hasbro has a similar routine of letting folks go (esp. design staff) just before Christmas every year? If not, then....

The Auld Grump

Hairfoot

First Post
So why, exactly, can't WotC layoff people again? They owe something to the customers? I really can't wrap my head around this. Small companies can let people go to stay viable but larger ones can't? Are large companies immune to recessions? What a bizarre double standard.

They can lay people off. They'll just be regarded as soulless profiteers.

Small companies are in it for the love of the hobby. No-one ever said, "Hey! I want to be rich. Let's cash in and start a tiny RPG publishing business!". Global corporations like Hasbro, though, are in it for the cash. They acquire successful businesses in small industries and gear them to maximise profit, regardless of what that does to the product.

If Hasbro buys out a cute little boutique cupcake shop employing six master pastry chefs, and then judges that the kitchen can produce generic spongecake for Walmart, it will become another spongecake factory among thousands, employing three mindless lever-pullers to produce an endless mound of low-value crap.

Is that what you want for Dungeons & Dragons?

D&D is the product of artists, and Hasbro has the resources to invest in artists, rather than cutting back and turning the D&D headquarters into another cog/wheel factory.

They can lay people off. They'll just be regarded as soulless profiteers.
Soulless profiteers that keep giving me products I like.

Maybe souls are overrated?

Small companies are in it for the love of the hobby. No-one ever said, "Hey! I want to be rich. Let's cash in and start a tiny RPG publishing business!".
No one ever said, "Hey! I want steady employment and good wages. Let's cash in and become a RPG developer!"

Global corporations like Hasbro, though, are in it for the cash. They acquire successful businesses in small industries and gear them to maximise profit, regardless of what that does to the product.
Even it means that they can continue to produce profitable products forever instead of having to close business.

Without a profitable business, there might not be layoffs. But that's just because you won't hire much anyway. Freelancers and contract workers are all you can afford.

Profitable business is not the problem. It's the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads