• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance WotC Officially Confirms Takhisis and Tiamat Are The Same

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today...

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today, WotC is putting its foot down and saying that Takhisis and Tiamat are, indeed, the same being.

Of course, this is not an opinion universally held. Dragonlance co-creator Margaret Weis emphatically stated that "TAKHISIS IS NOT TIAMAT, DAMN IT!"

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.19.14 AM.png

Fizban's Treasuryof Dragons confirms that the beings echo across various settings.

Again, DC was not one of the franchises in the conversation I was responding to, and in that case I agree: definitely changing the past there.
i mean you responded to me and I have used comics asmyanolgy pretty heavy but you DIRECTLY replied to meshowing howaddative madethings worsesowhatwill you takeas anexample?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
i mean you responded to me and I have used comics asmyanolgy pretty heavy but you DIRECTLY replied to meshowing howaddative madethings worsesowhatwill you takeas anexample?
DC changed the past, I agree. Generally not a fan, but I'm not invested in DC like I am in pretty much all the other things being brought up. Like I said, feelings matter here.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I would also say that Marvel (which I do care about), does a much better job with continuity than DC, whether you like what they did or not.

Stormonu

Legend
Does someone have a problem with the art?
I don't think they were necessarily speaking about the new DL art, so much as 5E D&D art overall - such as we saw in the thread about Radiant Citadel's/Witchlight's "cartoonish" art.

As for me, I still like a lot of the Parkinson, Elmore, Caldwell and Easley DL art best - but there is a lot of the 5E DL art I like, and am not denouncing it. But there's some I don't like, just like some of the ol' DL art isn't so good. In other words, there's nothing wrong with criticizing the art we've seen - if someone doesn't like it, they're allowed not to like it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
again if 10% is amazing or even just goodish, 10% of 3 movies per decade compared to 10% of 4 movies a year is a HUGE increase in amazing stories.

So, the economics of the thing probably don't work out like that, though.

There isn't an infinite supply of investor cash to pay for production of that many movies, nor is there likely appetite on the consumer end to pay for the content once it is produced.

darjr

I crit!
I don't think they were necessarily speaking about the new DL art, so much as 5E D&D art overall - such as we saw in the thread about Radiant Citadel's/Witchlight's "cartoonish" art.

As for me, I still like a lot of the Parkinson, Elmore, Caldwell and Easley DL art best - but there is a lot of the 5E DL art I like, and am not denouncing it. But there's some I don't like, just like some of the ol' DL art isn't so good. In other words, there's nothing wrong with criticizing the art we've seen - if someone doesn't like it, they're allowed not to like it.
Cam was responding to a bunch of awful responses to the new Dragonlance art.

So, the economics of the thing probably don't work out like that, though.

There isn't an infinite supply of investor cash to pay for production of that many movies, nor is there likely appetite on the consumer end to pay for the content once it is produced.
I mean they wont all get blown up as block busters. But again I will take the number of dracula and sherlock stories in the last 10 years (or spin off like Enola) to show how opening it up gives you better... also I bet BATMAN (just him) would get plenty of backers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads