WoTC/OGL - Is a Downfall meme allowed?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ask yourself why you would want to do that.

Ask yourself if likening WotC to Hitler in this context is 1) at all accurate, and 2) Would make the site a better place for it.

I am not happy about the situation either, but hyperbole and poor taste don't serve us very well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, that's correct.

With respect, other people on these boards have already likened WotC to Nazis. Whatever you think it means, the connection WILL be made.

What memes mean depends on context. In the context of someone trying to exert control, the meme becomes a different beast in its connotations.

Resident Jew here. The Downfall memes have shifted context over the last nearly 20 years. In a time when antisemitism is more prevalent than ever, when we have real nazis and fascists proclaiming their beliefs openly, and people are actively using meme culture as transmission for their abhorrent beliefs, I think it plays very differently. I know I am no longer comfortable seeing it used for humor.

I don't think Downfall memes are so much about likening the target to Hitler as being a joke about X situation being a complete trashfire catastrophe. But I'm not a meme guy, so maybe I just never got that meme.

Remove ads