WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

Plissken

Explorer
Most people don't read other's posts when the thread becomes long. Here is what pogre found just in case anyone missed it:
Quote removed by Admin. That was speculation, not a fact. Please be careful not to quote someone out of context, or to take a guess as fact. ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

coyote6

Adventurer
My point was that rather than that being the case, it is possible that WotC just became aware of Paizo's/RPGnow redownload policy,

I can't believe that's the case; the redownload thing has been a part of both sites (and DTRPG, when it was separate from RPGNow) from the beginning; it's also a part of e23, Green Ronin's online store, and I think every other PDF selling site I've done business with. So if WotC didn't know about the policy until just now, that would be nigh-idiotic, and certainly incompetent, of them.

since people are technically getting a "buy 1 get 4+ free" deal and thats 4+ instances in which WotC make no profit.

I think you are misunderstanding how that works. Only the person who purchased the PDF is allowed to download it. You don't get to download it five times, and give four copies away. You get to download it once, find out your DL is corrupted; DL it again, have your HD die before you backup your PC; DL it a third time, have your house burn down with backups & all; DL it a fourth time, have your new laptop stolen before you back it up; and DL it a fifth time, and back it up securely quickly before your horrible luck dooms you again. At no point are you legally allowed to give a copy to someone else.

coyote6

Adventurer
Most people don't read other's posts when the thread becomes long. Here is what pogre found just in case anyone missed it:
[snip]

Umm, I think that was Pogre's speculation. After that, he also wrote:

Obviously, a real report would have a bit more corporate speak and would never make the overall HASBRO quarterly. However, I would bet you a memo with similar content is drafted or will be drafted for internal consumption.

See post here.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
While I agree with the other parts of your message not copied, I do not believe this to be entirely accurate under US law.
Well, I am Canadian. The reason I know the percentages is that my wife is preparing a course package for the philosophy course she's teaching, and the university explained to her exactly how much material she could copy out of a particular source before they'd have to start paying for it.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I don't think there's actual confusion, so much as different contexts. "Piracy is theft" in a legal context is incorrect. In a moral or ethical context, however, they are arguably more equivalent.

I think more often folks around here who say piracy is theft are speaking in the ethical/moral sense, even if they don't explicitly realize it.

Wrong. Simply incorrect, on technical legal as well as moral grounds. It's simple: if you've taken something of value without paying for it, you've stolen it. That's what stealing means.

I don't know about you, but it seems clear to me that this poster was attempting to say that, legally, theft and copyright infringement are the same thing. Obviously, they think that both are morally wrong, but the whole "technical legal" part indicates a misunderstanding of the actual legal situation.

xechnao

First Post
He forgot...

5. Perhaps, technically WotC can't do what they did, but what PDF retailer in their right mind would risk the chance of never regaining WotC's PDFs to sell by being a stickler for the contract and irritating WotC over 30 days of sales? Reality trumps contractuality every time and you don't piss off your biggest seller unless you know with a certainty that you'll never be able to do business with them again.

joe b.

Do not forget the brick & mortar clause. This clause has to mean something, hasn't it?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

Looks like you didn't read that post very well yourself, mang. ;) Porge didn't "find" anything. Hopefully people will not just read your post. :eek:

Remove ads