WotC Replies: Statements by WotC employees regarding Dragon/Dungeon going online

It doesn't seem so much like a response to their going online as it does a collection of reminscences by their past employees as to how much they've all enjoyed gaming.

Where, exactly in all that, can I find the explanation for the decision to cancel Dragon and Dungeon and possibly even a preview for content-to-be? This "response" isn't a response at all, it's a haphazard collection of other peoples' fond memories of gaming.

No exactly effective marketing.

I'm trying hard not to get caught up in the spin and enthusiasm of this WotC message. Considering the barrage they have received around the traps, I could not conceive of a better response.

I'm devestated at the loss of paizo's Dragon and Dungeon magazines - but equally looking forward to checking out Pathfinder. I'm just hoping now that wizard's can do something right with the license they've brought "home". I suppose only time will tell.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Ranger REG

Explorer
Well, the digital download generation and the green environmental groups are getting their wishes.

If wanting print magazine is wrong in this day and age, I don't want to be right.

Save your sympathy, WotC.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
CanadienneBacon said:
It doesn't seem so much like a response to their going online as it does a collection of reminscences by their past employees as to how much they've all enjoyed gaming.

Where, exactly in all that, can I find the explanation for the decision to cancel Dragon and Dungeon and possibly even a preview for content-to-be? This "response" isn't a response at all, it's a haphazard collection of other peoples' fond memories of gaming.

This is WotC's lame attempt at damage control, for what it's worth...

Michael Dean

Explorer
Wow! You stay away from the internet for one day, and all hell breaks loose. I feel like I've been punched in the stomach by this news, and yet, I can't really feel angry at anyone. I hope Pathfinder is good; I bought the first three issues with the rest of my subscription money, so we'll see.

I started collecting Dragon in 1980 until about 1990, and then again about the time 3.0 came out. It really feels like an old friend just died. I guess I was hoping for a little more from Wizards by way of explanation as this is a pretty milestone event in the history of gaming. Dragon survived during some pretty lean times in the 90's, so it's really a shock to see it go away.

eyebeams

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Well, the digital download generation and the green environmental groups are getting their wishes.

If wanting print magazine is wrong in this day and age, I don't want to be right.

Save your sympathy, WotC.

Your political opinions aren't relevant to the matter at hand.

CanadienneBacon said:
I disagree.

Most of the posts against WotC's decision have been along the "cold businessmen in black suits making profitable decisions" type. Their message is to remind us that they too are gamers with a love for the magazines. In fact, they make us all aware of how much the majority of them have contributed to these magazines over the years.

They're not ready to reveal their "new" model for the online magazines so they do the next best thing. Having established their credentials (with so much love for the magazines), they insist that if they have enthusiasm for what's coming, then we should too. If they released anything with substance, with the way how people are feeling at the moment, it would be dissolved in a pool of fair/unfair criticism. They're waiting for people to calm down before they reveal a thing.

As far as I can tell, textbook marketing getting them out of an exceptionally poor situation. Of course, if you try to ignore the spin, it just ends up being a hollow message. Still, I couldn't imagine them doing any better at this point in time.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads