• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Seeking Your Setting Proposals (was "Big Wizard announcement")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirth

Explorer
Your item was delivered at 8:39 am on June 24, 2002 in RENTON, WA 98057.

Thank god for delivery confirmation!

Now I sweat...

Good luck, everyone,

mirthcard

your father is

First Post
let's talk characters

In novels and campaign settings, do you prefer clear distinctions between the heroes and the villains or do you prefer more morally ambiguous characters with believable motivation?

Both can work. When playing a game it is often preferable to know who the bad-guys are. When reading about a character, though, a little depth is a good thing.

I think the new setting will have to be something that allows for sympathetic characters to come into conflict with each other, with no character absolutely good or evil. That is why they asked specifically about conflict.

Or do you think a world where characters would be more gray than merely black or white would be at a disadvantage?

Glog said:
It has been my experience that most good writers are adequate typists. That comes with experience. The more you write, the more familiar you are with the keyboard. What takes time is phrasing and editing. As Storm Raven already stated, familiarity with your proposed setting and the vision you have for your product can make a huge difference between the 2 hour and 30 hour submissions.

It's not the length of the stick, but how you use it that counts. Or at least that's what I keep hearing from people over and over again for some reason.

As a professional writer of non-fiction (I'm an historian and an educational researcher) I have to say that I come down on the side of saying that two to three hours, in most cases, cannot have been enough to get out your best work. Sure, when I'm writing first draft I can bang out about six hundred words an hour, but first draft doesn't cut it, at least not in my case. Personally, I spent several hours a night on my submission, every night for over a week. I didn't _have_ to spend that much time on it, I just wanted to make it as good as possible.

That being said, I do know there are some people who have exceptional talent as writers and can do in one hour what takes most mere mortals ten. However, these people are much rarer than you might think. I've never met one personally.

Final word (for now): whatever you chose to do with your submission, be happy with it. You took the decisions and invested the time you thought best. Be proud of your work, win or lose, and stand by it. After all, it's yours and yours alone. :)

Fast Learner

First Post
Bombastus said:
So, on this level, the WotC setting search is about thousands of people searching for the truth about themselves...

I absolutely agree. Isn't it great how life works that way?

It's so cool to be alive.

Bulsarra

First Post
Dont give up

You may be drowning but we're all grateful for your efforts and the rest of those involved at WotC. I know that myself and others had some reservations about D&D going to Wizards but so far its been nothing but great and this open call is just one more thing to get excited about. Even though I want to win, I think I'll remember the excitment of the past two weeks (and the next two) for a long while.

Now, get off the boards! My submission has been delivered to your office! Read! Read!:D

phillcalle

First Post
Time, time, time

It took me twenty hours to write and rewrite my team's proposal. It's hard to count drafts when working on a computer, but I do know that my proposal went through four major stages and twice as many minor ones.

By the way, as an answer of sorts to those who think good writers can get away with taking less time to write their proposals, let me say that though I'm not a professional writer, I do have a master's degree, I am currently teaching English at a community college, and I'm a good typist. It still took me a long time, and I've noticed that the older I've gotten and the better that I've gotten at writing, the more time I take to write. At least for me, part of good writing is looking at my work from many different angles and thus many different drafts.

Re: Time, time, time

phillcalle said:
At least for me, part of good writing is looking at my work from many different angles and thus many different drafts.

When I was still in school I wrote a short story. A few days later I couldn't find it, so I wrote it again. Then I found the original.

I put the two versions together to great a third version, which was definately the best of the three.

I found that this was a really good way for me to work on written pieces. Write it once and hide it, then write it again after a break. Then compare the two. It means that I have two different perspectives on some scenes, different phrasing and even different ideas.

Then I sift through the versions and build the best.

Duncan

Xeriar

First Post
Re: Time, time, time

phillcalle said:
By the way, as an answer of sorts to those who think good writers can get away with taking less time to write their proposals, let me say that though I'm not a professional writer, I do have a master's degree, I am currently teaching English at a community college, and I'm a good typist. It still took me a long time, and I've noticed that the older I've gotten and the better that I've gotten at writing, the more time I take to write. At least for me, part of good writing is looking at my work from many different angles and thus many different drafts.

Yeah, I wonder how many people actually payed attention to which words fit into which sentances.

Word claimed that the reading level required for my document was seventh grade (I believe that's where it counts syllables per word).

Going multisyllibic and ajectival on the peasentlike postieriors of the administrative reveiwers shall not do very well to elucidate your enlightened submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads