• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Seeking Your Setting Proposals (was "Big Wizard announcement")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeriar

First Post
Re: Helllp!

Zulkir said:
Hellp, helllp, I'm drowning!

[sinks below sea of 8 1/2" X 11" papers]

AV

If I flew over there with a couple dozen two-liters of A&W Cream Soda (can't have you reviewing drunk, sorry) would that count as a bribe?

William Ronald

Explorer
Re: Helllp!!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Zulkir
Hellp, helllp, I'm drowning!

[sinks below sea of 8 1/2" X 11" papers]

AV
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's throw a few life preservers and ropes to the people at WoTC.

Seriously, I have to respect the effort that is going in to reviewing so many proposals. I think after the second round entries are chosen, the people working on this deserve some time to recover.

Somehow, I cannot imagine a setting call like this taking place at TSR or any other gaming company ten years ago.

dren

First Post
please no delays!!!

I'm hoping WoTC does not delay this contest.

I'm getting married in early August, and the deadline for the 10 pager is very close to my wedding day. So, if the contest is delayed...and IF i get choosen, I might have to spend a portion of my honeymoon with a portable latop working on my submission!

My honeymoon is the one place where I did not expect to be lugging around my D&D books to. Ah well, I can always try to convince my fiancee that if I win 20G, it might actually pay for all the D&D books I've purchased in the last ten years.

Dren

Last edited:

Undead Pete

First Post
Re: please no delays!!!

dren said:
I'm hoping WoTC does not delay this contest.

I'm getting married in early August, and the deadline for the 10 pager is very close to my wedding day. So, if the contest is delayed...and IF i get choosen, I might have to spend a portion of my honeymoon with a portable latop working on my submission!

Hmmmmm..... something tells me you won't get choosen :p

toberane

First Post
There has been a lot of discussion about how much time everyone spent on their submission. I ha ve my own beliefs on this, but it seems to me that there are as many different styles of writing and methods of doing so as there are people. In a thread about creative writing a little while back, we had a discussion about the difference between "swoopers" and "plodders." Swoopers swoop in with a massive creative burst and write, write, write, write, write, then go back and edit and rewrite as necessary. Plodders agonize over every phrase and word choice, rewriting as they go, then probably go back and rewrite it several times over again. Which is better?

Neither, in my opinion. If you are a plodder, then you work best in that manner. You need to rewrite a sentence four or five times before moving on to the next one. And the sentence is often much better because of it. If this is what gets yiour creative juices going, great.

If you are a swooper, you are concerned that you get all your ideas on paper as best you can, then you can go back and revise it. If this is the way you work best, then that's great, too.

There isn't one method that works best. Saying "You spent less than 20 hours on your submission, so it must suck" is ridiculous. I know, for my part, if I had rewritten for 20-40 hours, I would have overworked it and overthought it, and I would have ended up with a product that was vastly inferior to the one I spent 3-4 hours on. For me, there comes a time when I just have to say "It's done, let it go." That doesn't mean I think that you guys who spent 150 hours per submission turned in bad ones. Maybe that's what worked best for you. Doesn't mean the same applies to me.

Zulkir

First Post
Morning all

Folks,
And to top it all off I'm sick. It just never ends around here. Legal has brought in a temp and we have hired an intern to try to help us keep up. Mail is finally slowing down probably only a thousand new entries today.

My favorite writing story:

End of the day Truman Capote and Norman Mailer were walking on the beach. Mailer says, "I wrote ten thousand words today, Truman. I'll bet you wrote one". Capote replies, "That's true, but it was the *right* one!"

AV

p.s. I have a picture of one days worth of mail if someone can tell me how to put a picture in a message.

Ghostwind

First Post
Re: Morning all

I have a picture of one days worth of mail if someone can tell me how to put a picture in a message.

Anthony-

I would suggest posting it directly to the Wizards web site on the same page as where the open call was announced. That way everyone can see it.:)

Undead Pete

First Post
mirthcard said:
Your item was delivered at 8:39 am on June 24, 2002 in RENTON, WA 98057.

Thank god for delivery confirmation!

I finally checked my delivery confirmation:
Your item was delivered at 8:54 am on June 15, 2002 in RENTON, WA 98057

That was FAST! It took less than 2 days to arrive. I guess that means my submission has already been read, and is now
a) in the circular file
b) on some WoC staff dartboard
or.....
c) set aside for round 2 (SHYAAA RIGHT!!)

<SIGH>
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads