WotC WotC sells over 50k TSR classic titles over 9 years in Washington State alone, 2000 Star Frontiers over the past five.

And it is not only the USA but also to be bought by people from other countries. Hasbro is making money with titles created more two decades ago, and they save the expenditure about printing, storage and transportation.

Maybe in a future Hasbro acquires more TTRPGs created by neither TSR nor WotC but other publisher to be sold in DMGuild, and here maybe WhiteWolf/OnyxPath fandom should start to worry.

Noting however that Starfrontiers: Alpha Dawn is Platinum which could be from 1001 to 2500 sales. Quick someone go buy one and see if it flips over!

According to the quote in the OP, this product supposedly sold 2000 copies in "Washington state". And it's sold at most 2500 copies in total. So either Washingtonians are crazy about Star Frontiers while almost nobody else is interested, or worldwide sales are somehow being counted as occuring in Washington.

If we assume the latter, and that it also applies to the other products referenced in the OP, then the total sales numbers sound a lot more believable.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I dunno about all of them. But that is an interesting point. I mean couldn't the numbers be supported if even just one went Adamantine? Isn't it a base figure and numbers after it could be ten or 100 times that and we wouldn't know?
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that those rankings are split up by storefront. So if it sells X number of copies on Drivethrurpg.com and Y number of copies on DMsguild.com, they're ranked differently, even though both sites are just skins for the same retailer. Presumably the court filing uses the total from all of OneBookShelf's outlets.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that those rankings are split up by storefront. So if it sells X number of copies on Drivethrurpg.com and Y number of copies on DMsguild.com, they're ranked differently, even though both sites are just skins for the same retailer. Presumably the court filing uses the total from all of OneBookShelf's outlets.

I'll add D&D classics used to have it's own seperate store front from dmsguilds before they were merged.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I kind of wonder how many people saw what NuTSR was doing (either before or after it was revealed that they were horrible bigots) and decided to pick up a copy of the actual game simply because of that.

It'd be amusing if NuTSR's own idiocy is the cause of such a huge number of purchases!

Shakeshift

Adventurer
I kind of wonder how many people saw what NuTSR was doing (either before or after it was revealed that they were horrible bigots) and decided to pick up a copy of the actual game simply because of that.

It'd be amusing if NuTSR's own idiocy is the cause of such a huge number of purchases!
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, that Justin Lanasa would try to take credit for those amazing sales numbers of WOTC's.

Last edited:

Remove ads