WotC WotC sells over 50k TSR classic titles over 9 years in Washington State alone, 2000 Star Frontiers over the past five.

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the whole reason this was brought up is because - as part of the WotC/NuTSR trademark case - NuTSR filed a rebuttal a few weeks ago that actually attempted to claim that WotC has no claim to the trademark because they didn't show proof of commerce in Washington state. Yes, really, they tried that.

1667163063736.png

So, yeah, WotC brought receipts... Lots of them.

Faolyn

(she/her)
As long as he doesn't ask for the 4% commission on all sales, I'm fine with that. I don't want to see him getting a $40,000 commission check for any reason LOL.
Well, they didn't hire him to do it, so he's basically an unpaid (and unwanted) volunteer. From what's been said, he's fine with the idea of volunteers doing free work for him, or at least the DHSM, so he should be OK with getting bupkis from this, right?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the whole reason this was brought up is because - as part of the WotC/NuTSR trademark case - NuTSR filed a rebuttal a few weeks ago that actually attempted to claim that WotC has no claim to the trademark because they didn't show proof of commerce in Washington state. Yes, really, they tried that.

View attachment 265203

So, yeah, WotC brought receipts... Lots of them.
Seeing that again, I'm now a bit disappointed that WotC didn't italicize "in Washington" throughout their response to this.

see

Pedantic Grognard
Well, from the perspective of LaNasa's lawyers, what else can they do? They've got an obligation in the law to make the best case possible for their client, and given the law and the facts, that means hunting for anything that gives NuTSR a tiny bit of breathing room. On the Star Frontiers issue, what was left was the fact that trademarks can have limited geographic scope, based on where they're actually used in commerce. So they brought that up, on the off chance that WotC actually couldn't bring receipts. It wasn't high-percentage, but when your position is as weak as LaNasa's, effective representation of your clients means bringing up everything that might work.

In distinction, WotC's lawyers seem to have only brought forward the absolutely strongest claims WotC has. Any claim with even a shred of legal ambiguity has been left off the table, to they can concentrate on the claims where black-letter law is ironclad on the side of WotC. As a tactical matter, this maximizes the chance that WotC can win an unambiguous victory. WotC can then settle some of the damages claims in exchange for LaNasa's agreement to avoid behaviors that WotC is less certain to win a court judgment on.

As the original books' prices continue to increase, the DriveThruRPG sales will increase as well. While I prefer to have original copies over reprints, sometimes the cost is just too much to justify.

I for one am very thankful to not have to shell out as much as some stuff goes for used these days (looking at you, Planescape).

darjr

I crit!
As the original books' prices continue to increase, the DriveThruRPG sales will increase as well. While I prefer to have original copies over reprints, sometimes the cost is just too much to justify.

I for one am very thankful to not have to shell out as much as some stuff goes for used these days (looking at you, Planescape).
And the quality will improve.

The scans will too, it’ll get cheaper and easier to process them and the bad ones will get better scans or turned outright into digital text and art to be out back in a “book”.

I've only had one issue where the purchase (a 4e book, oddly) had a badly pixelated cover image. Since the interior art was fine, I can't say it bothered me too much.

And the quality will improve.

The scans will too, it’ll get cheaper and easier to process them and the bad ones will get better scans or turned outright into digital text and art to be out back in a “book”.

Remove ads