• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC Spell Creation Contest

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Mmm too bad my high end Durlock spell can't be used. Or rather I'd much rather see it in print else where. :p

But maybe I can make something work. ;)

Creamsteak

Explorer
I already made my submission for the 1st level PC contest here.

I'm debating which of my spells to choose, however. I have three done, and a blanket of other ideas... Give me some pointers if your willing.

Reflect Magic
School: Abjuration
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One spellcaster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

When Reflect Magic is used as a counterspell, it can reflect a spell back at it's caster.

Description: Reflect Magic can be used as a counterspell any spell of 4th level or lower that does not have a touch or personal range. Like the counterspell version of Dispel Magic, it may fail. You must make a caster level check opposed to the spellcaster that is being counterspelled. If you succeed, the spell is turned back upon the caster.

Material Component: Any scroll of a 4th level spell or higher. (Does not need to be the spell reflected)

See also,

Greater Reflect Magic
School: Abjuration
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V,S,M
Target: One spellcaster
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

As Reflect Magic, but it can reflect spells of 6th level or lower and provides a +20 bonus to the caster level check in order to reflect the spell.

Material Component: A scroll of a 6th level spell or higher. (Does not need to be the spell reflected)

Darkness Missile
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Will (half)
Spell Resistance: Yes

"Light is always followed by dark..." (blech, needs work)

Description: A shadowy bolt of evil energy springs from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 2d6+1 points of evil (unholy) damage. A successful will save halves the damage.
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.
The caster gains an additional missile for every three caster levels, to a maximum of five missiles. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.

Last edited:

Valiantheart

First Post
Here is my submission:

Spell Siphon
Necromancy [mind-affecting]
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One creature
Duration: touch or see text
Saving throw: Will negates; see text
Spell resistance: No

You must succeed at a melee touch attack. On a failed save the target loses a random spell slot or spell in memory (roll 1d10 until an appropriate spell level of the target is reached). The caster is aware if the target loses a spell and if they have more spells in memory. If the target is incapacitated or immobile the caster may maintain his touch and continue to attempt to siphon spells from the target causing him to attempt a new Will save each round. The spell lasts until the target breaks the hold, loses all spells in memory, or 5 minutes elapses.

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Neat. Here is my entry:

Delusion
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]

Level: 5
Components: V, M
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Your words are persuasive, and the target believes what you tell them, regardless of how bizarre, or absurd it may sound. The target listens to your words intently and believes them as if they are fact. These beliefs can be delusional. A man with a broken leg can believe that it is not broken (and can walk on it without pain, though it can still cause him physical damage, it is just ignored). A loyal servant can believe that the king is dead even though he just saw him.
Any occurrence that contradicts the delusional belief grants the target an additional will save. A failed save occurs in a paradox for the victim, and he will believe and defend (possibly with force) that what he sees is false.
The recipient of this spell can ignore pain from any effect, but the results of the effect still occur. That is, a delusional belief might be that the target is immune to fire, but the spell confers no such benefit, and any damage taken from such an effect is still real.

Material Component: Golden pyrite (fool's gold).

Remove ads