Would an Ancient Green Dragon consider adopting an orphaned copper wyrmling?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
As I just posted a chunk about their lifestyle we know the answer to this. They are born with language and knowledge. They still live with their parent for a short while. But it's not a long time. Some dragons do socialize, but for most chromatics they never want another Dragon entering their territory even if it's their parent or child.

Where is that information from? I found the Wikia article that seems copied from, but the Wikia article doesn't give any cites to RAW.

The MM and Volo's do not have this life-cycle information.

That said, seems about right given the stats and fluff that are in the MM.

I guess I play them pretty close to RAW but I homebrew them to be more social than described in the Wikia article. Not social in the humanoid sense, perhaps, but still there is interaction and knowledge transfer as well as working together and against each other.

Where is that information from? I found the Wikia article that seems copied from, but the Wikia article doesn't give any cites to RAW.

The MM and Volo's do not have this life-cycle information.

That said, seems about right given the stats and fluff that are in the MM.

I guess I play them pretty close to RAW but I homebrew them to be more social than described in the Wikia article. Not social in the humanoid sense, perhaps, but still there is interaction and knowledge transfer as well as working together and against each other.

Dracnomicon from earlier editions.

neogod22

Explorer
In any Setting but Eberron this is Close to impossible, the ancient green would adopt the copper wyrmling as an Addition to his breakfast.

In Eberron afaik Dragon Color does not mark alignment like in other Settings, so there it might be possible.

Reverse the Colors, and then it gets interesting, does the good copper Dragon adopt the evil green Dragon?

You still might want to make the Dragon a freshly hatched one, even youngest Dragons are a worthy Opponent to a pc and might fight instead of being carried around.

Two more things:

Reptilians in most cases do not care much for their offspring, thats why they lay many eggs so some will survive. With D&D Dragons this might be different.

The second question: Would the ancient green be ok when approached by the Party (asuming they are of good alignment) or will it consume the Party after it has swallowed the copper hatchling?
I was going to say the same thing about the reptiles bit didn't want to make long posts.

I think in the reverse order, an ancient copper would probably kill the green for the same reasons. One less evil dragon in the world. Good dragons know they can't redeem evil dragons so leaving the green alive will only mean allowing evil to flourish. Now it might allow the green to live if it feels it can't kill such a weak dragon and watxh it while it grows, then kill it when it becomes more of a challenge.

Riley37

First Post
Green dragons delight in corrupting the innocent. I take that as mainly meaning humans and similar species, especially player characters.

Is a copper dragon as corruptible as a human? Or does it have a link to Bahamut which makes it far less corruptible? If the latter, then either (a) can't corrupt it, might as well eat it, or (b) an irresistable challenge.

How gullible is *this particular* copper dragon? Could the greed dragon fool it with a quest to find a zinc or tin dragon, on some pretense of temporary alliance against a greater threat?

The Green could use the Copper as part of some kind of profane ritual or experiment: I could see the Green making arrangements for the Copper to become a skeleton or zombie dragon to guard the Green's horde. Of course, if the Green was acting friendly to the Copper, the intent is probably worse (sanctify the Copper to Tiamat or use its essence to make some kind of draconic humanoids) since the plan probably requires the Copper to submit of its own free will to whatever is going on.

Riley37

First Post
When copper oxidizes it turns green.....coincidence? I think not! :p

When a metallic dragon becomes morally corrupt, it oxidizes. Similarly, a silver dragon corrupts (oxidizes) into a Tarnish Dragon, more commonly known as a white dragon; both forms have a cold breath weapon.

S

Sunseeker

When a metallic dragon becomes morally corrupt, it oxidizes. Similarly, a silver dragon corrupts (oxidizes) into a Tarnish Dragon, more commonly known as a white dragon; both forms have a cold breath weapon.

I don't know if you made this up on the spot or not, but sooooo stealing.

Riley37

First Post
That gets me thinking of chromatic dragons "going good." But what would the poor green dragon transform into?

The existence of brass and bronze dragons suggests that long ago, copper dragons interbred with tin dragons and zinc dragons. No living mortal has seen them, no surviving records describe them, but perhaps a green dragon could become one?

Remove ads