D&D 5E Would folks be interested in a D&D TTRPG version of Universes Beyond?

Would folks be interested in a D&D TTRPG version of Universes Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Maybe if it's the right IPs

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I don't know if it's a good idea or not

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • What's Universes Beyond

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • OP is an unspeakable heretic

Votes: 1 2.1%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What is "Universes Beyond"?
That's the phrase that Magic the Garhering uses for licensed properties that are distinctly not Magic IP, like Lord of the Rings or Doctor Who. The distinction allows them to print licensed properties but have them kept seperate from "Standard" Magic.

Amd, Utah, licensed stuff would be neat.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
So it would be kind of like what Everyday Heroes did, but from official WotC

Think 5e meets Princess Bride, with licensing for the intellectual property
Or any of the other recently popular fantasy tv or movies

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's the phrase that Magic the Garhering uses for licensed properties that are distinctly not Magic IP, like Lord of the Rings or Doctor Who. The distinction allows them to print licensed properties but have them kept seperate from "Standard" Magic.

Amd, Utah, licensed stuff would be neat.
But there’s already 5E Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings. So I guess… yes? I already bought them. They’re great!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So it would be kind of like what Everyday Heroes did, but from official WotC

Think 5e meets Princess Bride, with licensing for the intellectual property
Or any of the other recently popular fantasy tv or movies
Hmm.

So, if it's a property that at least somewhat resembles D&D -- Princess Bride is a good suggestion -- it could work. Not sure that WotC has the bandwidth, especially now, to take on more work and either pay a licensing fee on the final product or split the profits.

If it's a property that requires them to make a modern day or science fiction ruleset, then absolutely not. Too much work when they're not getting 100% of the revenue stream.

This is the kind of thing the OGL is made for. If the Princess Bride license holders (who love licensing out the movie) want an RPG (in fact, wasn't there supposed to be one at some point?), they can just use the OGL to do it and leave WotC out of it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well there’s already 5E Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings. So I guess… yes? I already bought it. It’s great!
giphy.gif

Remove ads