D&D 5E Would folks be interested in a D&D TTRPG version of Universes Beyond?

Would folks be interested in a D&D TTRPG version of Universes Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Maybe if it's the right IPs

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I don't know if it's a good idea or not

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • What's Universes Beyond

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • OP is an unspeakable heretic

Votes: 1 2.1%

Guilty as changed, although I'm not as into MtG as I was pre March of the Machines where they wrecked Theros and to a lesser extent other settings. Bitter disappointment.
I know what some of those words mean.

Honestly the verlap between MTG and DnD fans is probably surprisingly low; MTG is really good at providing certain kinds of fun that DnD just can't, and vice-versa.

So having caught up: I don't think many IP's would actually work in DnD because spell slots only model one kind of magic well: DnD magic. Nearly any other magic system wouldn't work well using PHB classes. So you could make a whole new magic system (a huge amount of work) or have something that plays just like regular dnd but with different outfits (that suggests something other than regular DnD). Neither is likely to go well or make enough money to justify the costs.

I'd rather play a game designed for Harry Potter from the ground up than DnD in Hogwarts.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd rather play a game designed for Harry Potter from the ground up than DnD in Hogwarts.
Yeah, based on the fiction, spellcasting in HP should probably be some sort of skill-based spell check, but not one where characters can't keep trying if they fail badly enough. You could do it in D&D, but it would mean ripping out and replacing a major part of the existing rule set. After you do enough of those (I don't know if combat and death work in HP the way they do in D&D, either), the benefit of doing a property "using" D&D is gone.

I know what some of those words mean.

Honestly the verlap between MTG and DnD fans is probably surprisingly low; MTG is really good at providing certain kinds of fun that DnD just can't, and vice-versa.

So having caught up: I don't think many IP's would actually work in DnD because spell slots only model one kind of magic well: DnD magic. Nearly any other magic system wouldn't work well using PHB classes. So you could make a whole new magic system (a huge amount of work) or have something that plays just like regular dnd but with different outfits (that suggests something other than regular DnD). Neither is likely to go well or make enough money to justify the costs.

Hogwarts in D&D would just require a new class and it'd fine.

But I'm thinking of IPs that are already kind of simular to D&D in flavour, like certain video games.

Hasbro would rather to enjoy total creative control over its Stryxhaven instead pleading for Harry Potter licence. And also the licences are time-limited.

If the IP is too famous, then the company could ask too much.

And other point is the crunch to be totally compatible. Let's remember the number of PC species what couldn't be allowed in a Warcraft game.

And the most of IPs aren't designed to allow possible spin-off. When the evil lord is defeated by the group of heroes then the realm becomes peaceful and too "boring" for a new group searching new adventures.

It would be easier to sell boxes of expansions for Hero Quest based in no-Hasbro IPs.

And today some videogame studios could try to follow the same path than BG3.

Remove ads