• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would the Paladin and the Ranger be unbalanced if..

Epametheus

First Post
Would they unbalanced if they had caster level = class level, as opposed to caster level = 1/2 class level?

As they are now, their spells, upon which a large bulk of their power rests by core rules, are pretty weak -- very short durations, low bonuses, and easily blotted out by dispelling. But would they be too powerful if their magic didn't suck?

An entension of this is that a Blackguard would add ex-Paladin levels to his caster level, to help keep his caster level equivalent to a similarly leveled Paladin. Other "fallen" type of classes would work similarly to this.

What do you people think? I'm the co-DM of a homebrew campaign right now, and I'm thinking of proposing this change to my fellow DM.

Kerrick

First Post
The only problem I could see is that they'd start at 4th level instead of 2nd... *shrug* But I don't think it'd be a big deal; they deserve a power-up, IMO.

Ferret

Explorer
Kerrick said:
The only problem I could see is that they'd start at 4th level instead of 2nd... *shrug* But I don't think it'd be a big deal; they deserve a power-up, IMO.

The black guard or the spells of the Ranger and paladin? Either I misunderstand.

FireLance

Legend
I'm personally more in favor of using some variant Magic Rating for caster level along the lines of BAB so that clerics, druids, wizards and sorcerers get +1 MR per level, bards, monks, paladins and rangers get +3/4 MR per level and barbarians, fighters and rogues get +1/2 MR per level.

Some people don't like this system because they don't like the flavor of clerical spellcasting ability adding to arcance spellcasting ability, or don't like the idea that advancing as a fighter helps a wizard to cast spells better. I take the view that since gaining levels as a wizard helps you to fight better, why not the reverse?

Anyway, on-topic, I guess the concern might be stacking of spell bonuses such as Divine Favor (+6 luck bonus to attacks and damage at 18th caster level) with a full BAB. However, since clerics can also do that by casting Divine Might beforehand, it probably isn't too unbalancing.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I've been considering it for my campaign for some time -- the party has both a Ranger and a Paladin.

I don't think it will be unbalancing.

-- N

LightPhoenix

First Post
FireLance said:
I'm personally more in favor of using some variant Magic Rating for caster level along the lines of BAB so that clerics, druids, wizards and sorcerers get +1 MR per level, bards, monks, paladins and rangers get +3/4 MR per level and barbarians, fighters and rogues get +1/2 MR per level.
I like this system myself for the most part, but I'd be tempted to make Bards +1 MR per level as well, since they do have caster level = class level, as well as increased spellcasting every level. Sure, it's doesn't go up to ninth level spells, but it's a major part of the class.

aurance

Explorer
Kerrick said:

What if you do their caster level at class level -3? That's the way I do ranger animal companion.

Darklone

aurance said:
What if you do their caster level at class level -3? That's the way I do ranger animal companion.
And many people use this houserule. Just take care that the Divine Favor casting paladin does not outshine the fighters.

Darklone said:
And many people use this houserule. Just take care that the Divine Favor casting paladin does not outshine the fighters.

sorta like the cleric.and well isnt the paladin a fighter too?
or do you mean the fighter CLASS,for cheeses sake ROGUES outshine them in combat.

anywho i use caster level=level,i dont find it too strong.it just means that divine favor is a useable paladin buff and hes not AS bad at healing.speaking of bad healing,why the hell is cure moderate wounds a lvl3 spell for paladins?

i kinda suggest buffing the rangers animal companion to boot.it really isnt a worthwhile ability currently.

Last edited:

Remove ads