• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would this solve the "grind" issue?

Chzbro

First Post
Why don't you explain your system of bookkeeping since it is trivial?

Explain what you mean by "good at doing so". Are you claiming that it's easier to wipe out foes in Pathfinder than it is in 4E?

I've been playing D&D for 32 years and I really don't see a difference between foes coming at the party from all directions in Pathfinder and 4E from an encounter building skills perspective.

The difference I see is what has to be done to keep track of the encounter itself.

Rather than explain our "system of bookkeeping," which is really just colored magnets/condition flags like many other people use, I'll speak to what makes it easy and relatively fast. Again, let me emphasize that much of the reason it's easy and fast is because our group has played 4E together for some time.

If I regularly slow or daze or curse a target, someone will hand out those markers to me before the encounter. Everyone marks and keeps track of their own effects. But some effects are so pervasive and change often enough that visual markers become unnecessary. This means that the defender doesn't have to put a marker on every dude he marks every round. He says, "I mark that guy" and everyone remembers who he marked.

This really isn't particularly difficult nor are there ever any disagreements about what's going on. If your group is engaged in the fight and paying attention to what's happening in it, they're probably doing this already anyway. If they're not and you have to constantly remind everyone of all the buffs and conditions before each of their turns, that's probably a big part of why your combats are slow...and that's going to be true regardless of system or edition. Those who play 4E more often will naturally become more comfortable with and faster within the system. The same is true with those who play 3.x or Pathfinder more often.

Which explains exactly what I mean by "good at doing so." I'm not entirely sure how what I said could have possibly been interpreted to mean that "it's easier to wipe out foes in Pathfinder than it is in 4E?" I'm not even sure what that means or if it's supposed to be a good or bad thing. What I said was simply that someone who has been playing/DMing 3.x and/or Pathfinder for 8+ years probably has a pretty good idea of how to build an effective and fun encounter using that system.

I have also played D&D for over 30 years. I've built encounters in a number of D&D systems. In none of them was "foes coming at the party from all directions," the extent of the planning that went in them.

Herschel

Adventurer
Using dailies early is generally stupid in 4E unless you're a Barbarian or a Warden (or possibly a Controller if a recognizeable controller/artillery is opposite you and you're in a blast pattern). Layering them is also generally a better tactic, especially when you have multiples.

Felon

First Post
Using dailies early is generally stupid in 4E unless you're a Barbarian or a Warden (or possibly a Controller if a recognizeable controller/artillery is opposite you and you're in a blast pattern).
So, in summary, using a daily early is stupid...except when it's not. Well-said. ;)

Of course, you should aim to use dailies in proportion to the difficulty of whatever encounter you're facing. Overdoing it is wasteful of powers, but hoarding dailies can be wasteful of other resources, like healing surges, or time (which is what this thread is about).

Granted, the first round of combat is generally about maneuvering into place, so it may not be best to open with a killer attack. You want flank if you can get it. You want the leader to give out buffs and the troller to give out debuffs.

Beyond that though, you ought to start getting good stuff out the door asap. For instnace, the rogue is certainly better using his Knock Unconscious power before a mind flayer or medusa cuts loose rather than afterwards, when he may be preoccupied drooling on his shoes or attracting pigeons. Nova them before they can nova you (although a monster nova is less about lots of damage than it is about lots of save-ends conditions).

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
But you did say that it made it easier. I'm not quite sure what "easier" means, but I assume it means faster and more efficiently.

If it is faster and more efficient (realizing that it does indeed take time to select conditions and durations and targets and such on a computer), this implies that the original paper and pencil and homemade token system (whatever that may be) is slower and less efficient.
...Yes, same as it is with the Character Builder and the Monster Builder. And with just about everything else computers have been thrown at for the past 40 years. Yes, it speeds things up and it makes it easier to track. Of course it does. It tracks damage for me, rolls initiative, and I even let it take care of the dice rolling and dice math. 4e combat was manageable before, and now it's even moreso. I'm still failing to see the problem.

As an analogy, I could create a character without the Character Builder, but I'd rather save myself the added labor and concentrate on the fun bits. Same deal with Masterplan.

I also don't quite understand how a computer helps in the process of constantly adding and removing tokens on miniatures so that the players know what is going on. Do you still do that?
I don't bother with it for the monsters anymore for any conditions I'm tracking through Masterplan. It's superfluous. We still use it for the PCs, though.

-O

Chzbro

First Post
I understand that things can be done to mitigate grind in 4E, but I don't see how it can be eliminated. When you are fighting a lot of monsters, can expect to hit them only about 50% of the time (sometimes less) and do less than a quarter of their starting hit points in damage even on a good hit, it is going to take a lot of time to get through their hit points.

Do you actually, in practice, only hit what you're "swinging" at in your 4E games about 50% of the time? Is it really, on average, taking 5+ hits to drop any given opponent?

If so, then I really do feel your pain. That really would make every combat a grind. In practice though, you ought to have things like combat advantage or bonuses from leaders to turn that 50% miss chance into something more like 30%. You ought to have strikers who can jack an enemy for more like 33% of it's total health. You ought to have access to controlling effects that speed combats up by limiting the options of your opponents (daze, immobilize, knock prone, etc.)

That's not in any way to say, "You're playing wrong." But those numbers you're using are supposed to be a starting point, not the end result. If it's the end result...yeah, those combats are going to drag.

While I agree that published WotC stuff can often be big offenders when it comes to publishing grindy encounters, there's a simple reason for it. They can't predict your individual group. As Mallus (I believe) pointed out upthread, it's not hard nor does it take much time to go through a published encounter and tailor it a bit for the group that will be running it. Now you don't HAVE to do this for the encounter to succeed, but if grind is a problem at your table, you'll almost certainly find the result to be worth the effort.

If, for example, you (unspecific you) know your party lacks ways to improve accuracy and often has a hard time hitting, why would you throw level +2 soldiers at them? That's going to be miserable. Turn them into brutes (takes next to no time with Monster Builder) or just ratchet back their defenses by a couple of points. If you know the party doesn't generate a lot of damage, yoink one opponent out of the encounter or turn it into 4-6 minions.

If, on the other hand, your players are already good at avoiding grind, you might find that you need to ramp the WotC encounters UP. I had to do this with Seekers of the Ashen Crown. For one, there were 6 players in my campaign and the adventure is written for 5, but for another, this group has been playing together a long time and they just mow through stuff. It's hard to scare them. It's worth noting, though, that it's usually more effective to make an encounter tougher by adding more enemies than by raising the level of the enemies...although I suppose even that might vary from group to group.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Today, I played in a session where my group of 4 level 26s took on Yeenoghu (after 3 other fights). We only had a few dailies left between us (3?), and the demon lord had an elite soldier backing him up, but the fight still only took us 4 rounds and around 45 minutes to finish. Rather than grind, it was actually kind of easy. We could talk at length about why this was (I believe in one round the rogue dished out about 300 damage), but my point (anecdotally, I admit) is that there really isn't any reason to assume that fights are going to last 6-7 rounds at minimum. And while there is a lot of bookkeeping, if you play with the same characters over and over you ought to quickly get pretty familiar with what everyone can do and figure out ways to make that bookkeeping trivial. Observations about hit points and bookkeeping are exactly the kind of thing that we should be talking about in a thread like this, but they should at least be couched in a helpful manner.

Do you actually, in practice, only hit what you're "swinging" at in your 4E games about 50% of the time? Is it really, on average, taking 5+ hits to drop any given opponent?

If so, then I really do feel your pain. That really would make every combat a grind. In practice though, you ought to have things like combat advantage or bonuses from leaders to turn that 50% miss chance into something more like 30%. You ought to have strikers who can jack an enemy for more like 33% of it's total health. You ought to have access to controlling effects that speed combats up by limiting the options of your opponents (daze, immobilize, knock prone, etc.)

That's not in any way to say, "You're playing wrong." But those numbers you're using are supposed to be a starting point, not the end result. If it's the end result...yeah, those combats are going to drag.

I think grind is encounter / PCs / DM dependent, but something any group can fall into easily enough.

Let's take your example above:

Yeenoghu has 1032 hit points.

Yeenoghu has an area effect attack that can stun foes. It has a 50% recharge, so in 4 rounds he should be able to use it at least once and often two or three times. This stun effect does not have a save, so extra save powers do not affect it. Only "remove an effect" powers would affect it.

A level 26 elite soldier has ~480 hit points. I do not know what level the soldier you encountered was, but the PCs are level 26, so I am assuming same level here.

That's over 1500 points of damage in 4 rounds by 4 PC or an average of 94 hit points per PC per turn (hit or miss).

PCs some of whom should be stunned part of the time.

Even with none of them getting stunned and them ALL having a 70% chance to hit a foe that is 2 levels higher than them (the average you quote above as typical), that's still an average of 134 hit points per PC per successful turn (i.e. accumulation of hits per turn). Not just the striker(s), but everyone. If even one PC gets stunned for one single turn, that means that the rest of the PCs have to average 143 points of damage per successful turn. If more than one PC gets stunned, ... It's a lot more if the hit chance is < 70% for a higher level foe and a soldier.

Sure, the Rogue can do this with a critical and an action point and a daily. Maybe. But do you have all Strikers in your party?

To me, this illustrates that your game is unusual in some way. The PCs are doing mega-damage and the foe is not stunning (no save) or immobilizing (again no save) or otherwise significantly hindering the PCs.

This seems extremely odd to me.

A 45 minute 4 round encounters is also 11 minutes per round for 6 creatures or close to 2 minutes per turn each. Your game is complex enough that it takes close to 2 minutes on average for one player or DM NPC to do its actions. 2 minutes is a lot of time for someone to use one or two powers. Our game with 6 PCs and maybe 6 foes averages about 10+ minutes or 1 minute per PC.

So yes, something doesn't sound quite right here. And, that could explain why you don't see the grind. Your minutes per turn seems high, but your number of overall rounds and encounter length seem really low.

Maybe your PCs are super optimized or something. Or maybe the DM is not playing your foes effectively. Yeenoghu can stun, and immobilize, and teleport all over the place. He should never stand around and duke it out with PCs, some of whom can do "300 damage in a single round". 26th level NPCs typically have 200 to 250 hit points. According to you, your Rogue can one shot same and even higher level standard foes. 300 points is huge.

Maybe your PCs have anti-teleport powers, or can stun lock foes, or have other things that just shut Yeenoghu down, but a 4 round encounter with Yeenoghu and an Elite Soldier sounds excessively quick for 26th level PCs (like half or less as long as it should take).

Granted, if you have a super optimized Stun Orb Wizard that can lock down Yeenoghu for 4 rounds (which some DMs would not allow in their games), yes, I can see the PCs doing a lot more damage per turn.

Well, KD, the thing is you can build some sort of slashing or fey charging cheese character that can make a nova of 1000+ points and it just isn't a real problem. Yeah, Yeenoghu stuns and immobilizes a couple characters. The other 2 inflict 1000 points on him total. Next round he's dead because they have a 95% as good second strike. By the time you account for all the other goings on it took ALL of 4 turns to kill him. Upper epic tier seems to be like filled with super huge damage output attacks. A Warlord should easily do 300 points in 4 rounds.

Obryn

Hero
Your assumption is that the PCs were unprepared for a lot of Stun effects. By Epic, there are a ton of ways to deal with the Stun condition.

-O

keterys

First Post
As an example, my bard at that level could give everyone a +8 attack and +16 damage for a round, the ability to make basic attacks as minor actions, and give one target four basic attacks. So, my round alone might net, what, 8 attacks from my allies and an extra 128 damage on their own 8 attacks for the round? If each of the 8 basic attacks I granted hits for, say, 2d8+46, that's 440 damage. Their own 8 attacks are not basics, so presumably hit for more.

Yeah, shouldn't be that hard to do a one round nova to drop that target, in a purely theoretical sense.

Remove ads