• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow this paladin in your game? (new fiction added 11/11/08)

Would you allow this paladin character in your game?

shilsen

Adventurer
krunchyfrogg said:
Hey, howcome nobody else took a stab at his stats? :(
Dude - we're like talking about lust and all that good stuff!

Jokes aside, I'll post a basic stat block (or two) tomorrow and see what people think.

shilsen

Adventurer
As promised, here's a very basic and incomplete stat block I threw together for Cedric. I put him at 9th lvl for this one and did it in a jiffy, so pardon the errors, if any.

Rog2/Ftr1/Pal6; medium humanoid; HD 2d6+7d10+18; hp 81; Init +3; Spd 30 ft; AC 19 (+3 Dex, +5 armor, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16; Base Atk/Grapple +8/+11; Attk Longsword +12/7 melee (1d8+5/17-20) and Comp. Longbow +11/8 ranged (1d8+3/x3); AL LG; SV Fort +14, Ref +13, Will +10; Str 16 (+3), Dex 14 (+2), Con 14 (+2), Int 14 (+2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3) [Dex 16 (+3), Cha 18 (+4) w. items]

Languages: Common, Elven, Gnome

Skills (90 skill pts): Bluff +9 (5 ranks), Diplomacy +20 (12 ranks), Intimidate +10 (6 ranks), perform (oratory) +9 (5 ranks) + 62 skill pts

Feats (4 Normal, 1 Human): Action Surge, Divine Might, Heroic Spirit, Iron Will, Power Attack

Special abilities: Sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding, evasion, aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 2/day (+4 hit, +6 dmg), divine grace, lay on hands (24 hp), aura of courage, divine health, turn undead (7/day, as Clr3 at +2), special mount, remove disease 1/week

Spells per day (DC 11+spell lvl, at caster lvl3): 2

Equipment (36k): +1 Holy Longsword (18.3k), +1 Chain Shirt (2.65k), Cloak of Charisma +2 (4k), Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4k), Vest of Resistance +1 (1k), Heward’s Handy Haversack (2k), Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2k), Comp. Longbow [+3 Str] (0.4k) + 1.5k

Besides the stats being quite high, nothing's unusual about the other aspects of the PC. The Heroic Spirit feat is from the Eberron Campaign setting, and provides an extra 3 action pts per level. He's using his longsword two-handed and will switch to one-handed any time he needs the other hand free, perhaps to grab a flagon or give someone the finger, albeit in an appropriately paladinish (paladinly? paladinic?) way ;)

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
Just one nitpick: if he took his rogue and fighter levels first, before he started taking paladin levels, he gets Turn Undead at character level 7 (Rog 2/Ftr 1/Pal 4). This means he can only take Divine Might with his 9th-level feat slot, and so he won't be able to take Improved Critical as well. Improved Critical doesn't seem vital to the character concept, so I suggest replacing it with Action Surge, also from the Eberron Campaign Setting. An extra standard action at the right time can really give Evil a bad day. ;)

shilsen

Adventurer
FireLance said:
Just one nitpick: if he took his rogue and fighter levels first, before he started taking paladin levels, he gets Turn Undead at character level 7 (Rog 2/Ftr 1/Pal 4). This means he can only take Divine Might with his 9th-level feat slot, and so he won't be able to take Improved Critical as well.

Thanks. When putting together a PC/NPC at higher than 1st lvl, I'm usually anal enough to work out what level each feat was taken at and see if it works out, but I didn't do so in this case.

Improved Critical doesn't seem vital to the character concept, so I suggest replacing it with Action Surge, also from the Eberron Campaign Setting. An extra standard action at the right time can really give Evil a bad day. ;)

Good point. And the gossip down in Firelight in Sharn says the ladies love it too ;)

I've made the changes you suggested.

genshou

First Post
Just popping back in to add my happy birthday wishes to this thread. It really was active at the time that it passed the one-year mark; we just lost the posts to prove it. :(

shilsen

Adventurer
genshou said:
Just popping back in to add my happy birthday wishes to this thread. It really was active at the time that it passed the one-year mark; we just lost the posts to prove it. :(

Yeah, it's a pity those got lost. We had some more interesting comments and discussion, which is a little surprising considering how many very divergent opinions we've already had on the subject.

As some people may remember, among the posts that were lost were a couple from me mentioning certain problems with my academic situation. In short, my Ph.D. committee (or parts thereof) had problems with my preliminary exams, mainly because I'd decided to make a point about what I think are huge weaknesses in the system by doing what I think should be done rather than what was being asked for. At that point, I was effectively out of the program and looking at a permanent departure from the US (I'm originally from India) in May.

My situation's a lot better now. I appealed the decision and it's been overturned. I'm in the process of reforming my committee and even though there are some academic hurdles to cross, I'm not leaving any time soon. Also, and this is what really makes me happy, because of my appeal and the thngs I brought up, the department has already made some changes to the preliminary exam system and the entire system is up for academic review for the first time in over a decade. Smite Academic Inertia, baby!

And on a gaming front, not only do I have Cedric functioning as an NPC in my campaign (story hour below), but I may get to play the character concept as a PC soon. I'm thinking of joining the group run by Rolzup (see sig) and we've been discussing me playing a version of Cedric that fits his homebrew campaign setting. And over the last couple of months I've got emails from a couple of people asking to use him as a PC or NPC in their games. Apparently Cedric is kicking and chasing ass for goodness in a lot of games out there.

genshou

First Post
Yeah, there has been some pretty good discussion on Cedric. And I'm glad to hear the update on the PhD committee and everything that was going on with that.

While I'm still on the austere side of things regarding my opinion on Cedric and allowing him in my game, I've mellowed out a lot toward those of differing opinions. It's a real shame we lost all those posts from before, but at least we still remember them. That's what really matters. :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Seeten said:
I love Cedric.

I'm fairly fond of the bum myself ;)

Here's a little Cedric moment from my campaign (set in the city of Sharn in Eberron). The situation was that the PCs were after four people who'd mugged a pair of PCs and stolen something very important to them. Cedric was helping the PCs. After fighting a pair of the NPCs and capturing one, the PCs found out where the other two were hiding out. They went there, were detected and a fight broke out, ending in the death of both NPCs. The PCs also ended up fighting and killing a group of malformed humans called ravers. Afterwards, the PCs did what PCs do, i.e. took their stuff and left the bodies.

Later, in the evening, while they were elsewhere, this happens (note: Gareth is the PC paladin played by AviLazar and Mazin Tana is a priest and friend of Cedric's):

Meanwhile, in Coldflame Keep...

Mazin Tana looks up as Cedric walks in. "What happened? You look like something the cat refused to drag in."

Cedric chuckles. "Yes, Mazin - you look pretty too." Then he stretches and yawns, "I'm just tired. It's been a bloody long night - and day."

"Something to do with Gareth? He was in a great hurry when you left last night."

"Yes. Can't discuss most of it with you, I'm afraid, because it's private to him and his friends. Let's just say they've been getting into trouble, and from what I've heard, are liable to get into some more." Cedric beckons for Mazin to follow him. "For example..."

A curious Mazin follows him out into one of the emptier chambers, where he finds four husky-looking men standing around a large cart covered by a cloth. Cedric walks up to it and lifts the cover, to reveal over a dozen corpses. Most of them are twisted and malformed, except for two, of a dwarven woman and a human male. All of them seem to have been slain violently.

"By the Flame!"

"Don't worry," reassures Cedric. "They earned it - unfortunately. Still, we need to give them a proper cremation."

"Yes, yes, of course," says a still shocked Mazin. "Did he ... they ... I mean, did Gareth and his companions ..."

"And I," says Cedric quietly. "There was little choice in the matter. I'll tell you about it later. I'd have been back earlier, but Gareth and the others weren't really interested in disposing of them once they were done, so I had to go back down to Fallen and get the bodies."

"So they killed some people and just left the corpses lying there?" asks Mazin, a tinge of surprise in his tone.

"Adventurers," says Cedric succinctly.

"But Gareth?" persists Mazin, "He should know better."

"Yeah. And I should be sober. What are you gonna do?" Cedric takes a look at Mazin's face and adds, more reassuringly, "Don't worry. He's got potential. He'll learn." And if he doesn't, well ... he won't be the first.

Mazin doesn't reply, and after a few seconds Cedric says, "Um, Mazin? You know ... arrangements?"

"Yes, yes," says the elderly priest. "I'll go take care of it." As he heads for the door, a call of "Hold on," stops him and he awkwardly catches the jingling bag tossed in his direction. "What is this?"

"A hundred and ninety-nine galifars. Use what you need for the cremation and use the rest for this place."

"Oh! Thank you, Cedric." Mazin's brow contracts. "One hundred and ninety-nine?"

Cedric grins and opens his backpack to show a couple of bottles inside. "Let's just say the cost of good hooch in this place is criminal!"

Mazin smiles and leaves, still looking faintly concerned. Once he's gone, Cedric kneels beside the cart and begins to pray for the departed souls of the slain.

recentcoin

Explorer
Possibly Permissable

I'd allow it. How about a Paladin devoted to a fertility goddess? While I agree that it might not be suitable for a game with children, since when the the whole dang world have to be "child-proofed"?

I'm going to clue you folks in on a basic tenet of human nature. Everyone has vices. No one is perfect - I don't care what oath you took. The man who doesn't admit his vices is the priest who molests children, the nurse who murders her patients, the serial killer who keeps tasty tokens in his freezer. I'd much rather trust a man who admits he drinks, plays poker, and chases the girls around the brothel. I'd certianly trust him before I'd trust the young self-riteous pip that came to find him.

Point one - he's not forced the girls in any way and in fact the statement was made that he need not pay. He's chosen to pay since that is their profession.

Point two - He doesn't appear to be married so he's probably not doing anything that would be termed a technical violation of his vows since chastity doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Point three - His final statement is something that can easily be echoed, in more modern times, by any police man or soldier. I've heard very similar words come from a Marine I know. Next time you see one, you might try saying "Thanks" instead of calling them names.

Point four - The sterotype of paladins as goody-two shoes who lack depth is only fueled by narrowminded DM's who only want to let players do what "everyone else does". You've taken something that is supposed to be imaginative and turned it into a conformists club. DULL!!! B-O-R-I-N-G.

Point five - Since when did sexual absitence become a requirement for a paladin? I would think that this might vary based on the order. Many of the pantheons have gods and goddesses that are devoted to aspects of fertility, childbirth, etc. One might suspect that procreation might be encouraged amongst some of these orders - if nothing else as a way to increase the sheer number of worshipers.

Point six - Basing your understading of paladins on the Knights Templar is dubious at best. They may have been chaste but they were some greedy sons of b's otherwise. They amassed a huge fortune in short order. In short, they don't quite measure up in reality to the medeval ideal of the chivalrous knight.

That's my bit on the whole thing. It sounds more like the difference between the green recruit who's all gung-ho and the middle-aged Sergant who's been in combat before reacting to their orders.

My 2 cents,

RecentCoin

Remove ads