• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow this paladin in your game? (new fiction added 11/11/08)

Would you allow this paladin character in your game?

ajanders

Explorer
Not Terry Pratchett, TH White.

"If I were to be made a knight...I should insist on doing my vigil by myself, as Hob does with his hawks, and I should pray to God to allow me to encounter all the evil in the world in my own person, so that if I conquered there should be none left, and, if I were defeated, I should be the one to suffer for it."
"That would be extremely presumptuous of you, and you would be conquered, and you would suffer for it."
"I shouldn't mind."

shilsen

Adventurer
ajanders said:
Not Terry Pratchett, TH White.

"If I were to be made a knight...I should insist on doing my vigil by myself, as Hob does with his hawks, and I should pray to God to allow me to encounter all the evil in the world in my own person, so that if I conquered there should be none left, and, if I were defeated, I should be the one to suffer for it."
"That would be extremely presumptuous of you, and you would be conquered, and you would suffer for it."
"I shouldn't mind."
Nice. That sounds about right. Unfortunately, I've never read TH White. It's on my long list of things to check out once I'm old and retired.

shilsen

Adventurer
Torm said:
A very enjoyable read, Shilsen. Excellent. :)

Thanks. As long as I've got the god of paladins happy with my work, I figure Cedric's doing okay :)

ajanders said:
I'll be so deeply interested to see what Cedric's thoughts are on justice versus revenge :)

I guess we'll get a chance to find out in-game at some point or the other. Considering the way that I've written him, and the slightly divergent ways I'm playing him as a PC in John's game and as an NPC in my Eberron game, I'd have to say that Cedric would pick justice over revenge every time. Having gone through a seriously bad patch where revenge figured a fair bit, he'd understand the emotional impetus toward revenge well enough, but he still wouldn't consider it an appropriate aim. And even where justice is concerned, I'd see him tempering it to some degree with mercy, but being fairly pragmatic about it. In some cases, if possible, he'd extend more mercy than someone might have earned. And if it wasn't possible or was just a bad idea, he'd - if possible - explain to the person(s) involved that it was a little unfortunate but he did have to deliver justice. And then he would. To use Pratchett again, think of Carrot with a lot more humor and a strong splash of Vimes.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
So what is the deal? Why are you bringing back a 2 year old thread? Are you going to dig up the "My paladin is a child molester, does he lose his powers?" thread next?

Seriously, if you only brought this back so you can write fiction, why not just put it in the story hour, or start a new story hour and place a link to this thread? Otherwise, didn't you get enough answers for your thread already?

In spite of my nature, I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am really trying to understand.

Last edited:

Furby076

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
So what is the deal? Why are you bringing back a 2 year old thread? Are you going to dig up the "My paladin is a child molester, does he lose his powers?" thread next?

Seriously, if you only brought this back so you can write fiction, why not just put it in the story hour, or start a new story hour and place a link to this thread? Otherwise, didn't you get enough answers for your thread already?

In spite of my nature, I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am really trying to understand.

So young, so angry.....damn that rap music.

shilsen

Adventurer
DM-Rocco said:

Good thing too, since that did sound strangely upset rather than sarcastic. And I'm mostly just doing (and using) this because the thread already exists and a few people apparently enjoy the little pieces of fiction on Cedric. I don't like to bother to keep track of a bunch of threads and I don't write anything on Cedric often enough to justify a new thread (and this really has no place in my Eberron story hour, which is about my PCs, not him). Obviously we've had more than enough discussion on this thread, but I still get the odd comment from someone whom it gave at least a slightly different perspective on the subject, and I think that's a bonus, though not the aim for the update.

If someone isn't interested, as it seems you're not, then I presume you'll ignore this one extra thread out here, just as I ignore all the threads about subjects I'm not interested in. If people on a messageboard discuss or post things I have no interest in, I don't see how it should affect me. But then, apparently your approach is a little different.

AviLazar said:

:D

DM-Rocco

Explorer
shilsen said:
Good thing too, since that did sound strangely upset rather than sarcastic. And I'm mostly just doing (and using) this because the thread already exists and a few people apparently enjoy the little pieces of fiction on Cedric. I don't like to bother to keep track of a bunch of threads and I don't write anything on Cedric often enough to justify a new thread (and this really has no place in my Eberron story hour, which is about my PCs, not him). Obviously we've had more than enough discussion on this thread, but I still get the odd comment from someone whom it gave at least a slightly different perspective on the subject, and I think that's a bonus, though not the aim for the update.

If someone isn't interested, as it seems you're not, then I presume you'll ignore this one extra thread out here, just as I ignore all the threads about subjects I'm not interested in. If people on a messageboard discuss or post things I have no interest in, I don't see how it should affect me. But then, apparently your approach is a little different.

:D

Well, I have a few story hour threads that I write, none of which are very long or that I update all that much, but I still keep them on the story hour rather than writing in an existing thread that touches a sore subject for some people. A simple link in your signature gets interested parties to your writing rather than people who reply to a thread link like this. I guess IMO I think you got your answer about this thread and I would have stopped it a long time ago. At the least, I would rewrite the title of the thread. Something like "Cedric's Story so far - Formerly would you allow this Paladin? UPDATED 00-00-0000"

I am all about freedom of speech/writing, but why don't you do your fans and fans of Cedric a favor, gather up the narrative and start a story hour with it. It avoids the confusion.

AviLazar said:
Actually, older than you think and I despise rap music. You got it wrong again.

Remove ads