• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow this paladin in your game? (new fiction added 11/11/08)

Would you allow this paladin character in your game?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Doug McCrae said:
Drinking to excess and partying hard would also be chaotic IMO.

So basically.........what you're saying is..........Dwarves are chaotic!

* Runs and hides before Axehelm Stonebeard, generic Dwarven Fighter/Cleric comes running out to smash some heads in with his warhammer* Well, you know, it's running at base speed 20 so I guess there isn't that much of a rush to do so. :lol:

shilsen

Adventurer
And she rises from the ashes :D

Palskane said:
Shilsen I would really like to tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread.

Thanks, Palskane.

I'm actually getting to play a version of Cedric now, in a campaign run by Rolzup (the author of the Burne storyhour in my sig), and having a damn good time with it. We started with him pre-paladin, and Burne has just completely raked him over the coals and made him have a meltdown, which he's going to come out of as a paladin.

I would take Sir Cedric in both my OD&D campaign and in my OAD&D campaign. This is the kind of character that makes fun for everyone in the game, players and DM. Of course I view Robert E Howards Solomon Kane as one of the models of a paladin.

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Dyne said:
One of the big things about the Paladin class is its alignment requirement and its Code of Conduct requirement. The Paladin class has such restrictions on it because, otherwise, it would be a much more powerful class. The game designers decided to give the class wonderful powers but strict restrictions to balance it out.

I just had to say that I really hope no one actually believes this.

shilsen

Adventurer
Aaron L said:
I just had to say that I really hope no one actually believes this.

The funny thing is that I think a fair number (probably not the majority, however) do. Of course, there really isn't much mechanical evidence to back it up. Paladins do get some good powers and might be one of the better defensive classes (potentially best saves in the game, heavy armor, self-healing ability, disease and fear immunity), but it's hardly one of the most powerful. By the argument Dyne used, druids and clerics and wizards should have significant alignment and RPing restrictions.

LoneWolf23 said:
Would I allow such a Paladin in my game?

Hell yeah! In fact, I think I'll play a Paladin like Sir Cedric in the future.. :cool:

Nice! Considering how many people have told me, in this thread and via email, that they're planning to use a Cedricesque PC or NPC, I'm having visions of dozens of little Cedrics running around out there, kicking stereotypes and taking names :cool:

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Me likee this Paladin very much; makes me think of my cigar-smoking, whiskey-drinking Fist Of Horus (Paladin/Monk) Ardan.

I'd be happy to have Cedric in one of my games.

Aaron L

Hero
shilsen said:
The funny thing is that I think a fair number (probably not the majority, however) do. Of course, there really isn't much mechanical evidence to back it up.:

Thats unfortunate :(

One of the primary mantras of 3E was that there wouldn't be any mechanical benefits balanced by RP penalties, like there were in so many 2E kits and such.

"You get these 2 free weapon specializations, but you get a -2 reaction check penalty."

Mallus

Legend
shilsen said:
I'm having visions of dozens of little Cedrics running around out there, kicking stereotypes and taking names :cool:
Can we find someone to run this Shil, the all Bad Paladin campaign? Like the Ale and Whores version of the Peers of Charlemagne.

I've got a few ideas for characters...

Remove ads