Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

I think lulu makes hardcovers. Anyway there should certainly exist some pod service that can do justice.
Yes, but then they would need to invest in making print-quality PDFs of the old books. If you look at some of their PDFs, it's clear they're just scanning physical copies of products, imperfections an all.

Oni

First Post
It might be neat and generate a little interest in older versions of the game (though this may not be a good thing from WotC's perspective), but ultimately I'd rather just have the an original if I were going to buy a copy even if it weren't in pristine condition. In a lot of cases I'm sure it would be cheaper too than being a newly printed edition. So guess ultimately I'd probably better overall if they didn't just because the hobby I think would ultimately be better served if WotC's energies were spent on advancing it rather than retreading an already relatively accessible past.

delericho

Legend
I really want to vote "yes", but the reality is that the only things I would actually buy are the 1e hard covers and the BECM Rules Compendium. I already own (and don't use) copies of the 2nd Edition core rulebooks, and my 3e books remain in perfect working order.

And, in any case, if I really wanted I could probably lay my hands on hard-copies of the 1e rules quite easily, and for less than any new publication would cost. The Rules Compendium seems a lot less easily available, though.

In any case, together, these factors force me to vote "no".

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I would love to see that — however, I suspect that it would be a money-losing proposition for WotC and, thus, I don't expect that I ever will see it. And rightly so.

I don't expect companies to throw their money away just because I want to see something happen. That having been said, if a majority of consumers want to see this happen, it would be silly not to do it.

I, however, have never seen any strong evidence that more than a comparatively small handful of people are interested in older editions of D&D.

Remove ads