• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

would you play your least fav edition if asked by friends

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ok, simple question. Lets say you had the time and money to go hang out with 4-6 of your good friends tomorrow for the 40th birthday of D&D, but one of them said "Hey I'm DMing X" where X is the version of D&D you most dislike or like the least.

Would you go to play the game you dislike? what if it was the only game you could go to, so it is literally that or nothing tomorrow?

Simple answer: Absolutely.

Elf Witch

First Post
This is kinda true, but to me it still has more to do with the people.
I've been in some games I hated because I wasn't on the same wavelength as the GM even though I loved the system. And other games I loved because the GM was solid and the player dynamics were good even though the system was ass.

I agree that people can make a difference even with a system you enjoy. But I have found that if you really are frustrated with a system it can impact on your enjoyment of the game.

The Human Target

Adventurer
For a one shot?

Sure, why wouldn't I?

It would end up being fun probably.

And part of friendship is doing stuff you might not be a huge fan of.

I never want to help anyone move house, but that doesn't mean I don't do it. And it usually ends up being kind of fun anyway.

fjw70

Adventurer
Perhaps it's because I'm considering a broader context that includes my own circumstances. I live right near so many interesting things and people that I have an excess of choices of how to spend my free time. I also work as a contractor and set my own hours, so if there's nothing worth doing I can and probably should make some money, or be doing something productive towards moving my career forward. I like rpging enough to belong to message boards about it, but for me to want to devote a large part of a day to playing a game, it needs to be satisfying on a lot of levels, not just an excuse to spend time with people.

If someone asked me to play a game of 4e, I'd probably suggest playing something else, or watching some TV or movie of mutual interest, but then if that failed, I'd just walk to the National Mall or drive to some estuarine beach or go hiking at Great Falls, with or without them. Then again, I don't have any friends that would ask me that.

What puzzles me is how people with families and other obligations aren't as discriminating.

I have a family, but I haven't played an RPG game I hated enough to not enjoy playing with a good group.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Perhaps it's because I'm considering a broader context that includes my own circumstances. I live right near so many interesting things and people that I have an excess of choices of how to spend my free time. I also work as a contractor and set my own hours, so if there's nothing worth doing I can and probably should make some money, or be doing something productive towards moving my career forward. I like rpging enough to belong to message boards about it, but for me to want to devote a large part of a day to playing a game, it needs to be satisfying on a lot of levels, not just an excuse to spend time with people.

If someone asked me to play a game of 4e, I'd probably suggest playing something else, or watching some TV or movie of mutual interest, but then if that failed, I'd just walk to the National Mall or drive to some estuarine beach or go hiking at Great Falls, with or without them. Then again, I don't have any friends that would ask me that.

What puzzles me is how people with families and other obligations aren't as discriminating.

Wow, pat yourself on the back!

Greg K

Legend
Edit. I misread the original post.

For a one time personal special occasion (e.g., a friend's 40th birthday), I would bite the bullet and play any edition of D&D that was not my favorite. I would not do it for any other reason (including the 40th birthday of D&D which is not something special to me). Then again, I have turned down playing my favorite edition of D&D, because I did not care for the proposed setting and the power level of the campaign.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Wow, pat yourself on the back!
To be fair, I lived for a while in a rural area with not much to do and didn't own a car...and I played no D&D whatsoever during that period, oddly enough. My life was okay without it.

Now that I live in a more happening place, my hobbies are really up against it. I've given up several that I liked less than D&D.

Then again, I have turned down playing my favorite edition of D&D, because I did not care for the proposed setting and the power level of the campaign.
Yes, the thread poses one question, but to me the bigger question would be what is the bar for a D&D game being good enough to play in. To me, it's pretty high. It has to be a good set of rules and a good game and good people, not one or two of those things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads