• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

would you play your least fav edition if asked by friends

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Edition wouldn't stop me at all in that case.

As a player I think I'm ok even in the systems I don't really like. So I can't even really see saying no to a long term game with friends in a system that isn't my favorite -- unless I was already in another game and it would be tricky to juggle a second time-wise. In that case the details (system, which DM in particular, the campaign hook) have swayed me one way or another.

Much pickier as a DM.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ok, simple question. Lets say you had the time and money to go hang out with 4-6 of your good friends tomorrow for the 40th birthday of D&D, but one of them said "Hey I'm DMing X" where X is the version of D&D you most dislike or like the least.

Would you go to play the game you dislike?

yes, absolutely. i care way more about my friends and hanging out with them and playing d&d than i care about what edition it is.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What puzzles me is how people with families and other obligations aren't as discriminating.

For me, it's the opposite. Now that i have a family, time to see friends is few and far between. if the opportunity arises when we all have availability on a particular day and hour to get together, and the inclination to do so, I jump at that chance regardless of edition.

it's when i was single and had a lot more availability that i had the privilege of being discriminating about something as silly as editions of a game.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
An anniversary D&D game with an edition I didn't like? I'd probably skip it catch them on the flipside. We play plenty of other games together, and they know I don't like everything they play and vice versa. I already turn down any Vampire invitations they extend me because I don't like the game, this wouldn't be any different.

That said, knowing my friends, none of them would even consider playing the edition I don't like as a special anniversary of D&D's launch in the first place. They'd definitely be playing an early edition for that, so I'd be on board to play.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
For me, it's the opposite. Now that i have a family, time to see friends is few and far between. if the opportunity arises when we all have availability on a particular day and hour to get together, and the inclination to do so, I jump at that chance regardless of edition.

it's when i was single and had a lot more availability that i had the privilege of being discriminating about something as silly as editions of a game.

It's closer to the opposite for me, but then, I know quite a few gamers with kids the same age as mine. We get together, the kids have been friends since infancy, and I game quite a bit now as a result. Having a family has increased the time I hang out with other gamer families.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Would you go to play the game you dislike? what if it was the only game you could go to, so it is literally that or nothing tomorrow?

If it was with a group of trusted friends, I'd even play FATAL or Spawn of Fashan. :)

For me, game systems aren't that big of a deal breaker -it's a matter of "more or less preferred." If it's a group of friends I trust creatively, then I'd play whatever, on the theory that we're going to MAKE it fun, no matter what. Piratecat, or Rel, or The Universe, as examples, running either FATAL or Spawn of Fashan (two of the worst RPGs on planet Earth) would still likely be :):):):)ing hilarious, because they'd find the fun or humor in it, and exploit that -- and with a group of creative enough people, I'd likely suffocate from laughter...

So, for me it's not "do I like the game," it's "do I trust the fellow players?"

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
With the people whom I play, it is not the game that is incidental. Incidental would be the joking and pizza.
Yeah, same here. Just different priorities in gaming.

Although, we've played some goofy one-shots on occasion, where immersion didn't matter, and sitting around eating and drinking and laughing was the point. It's not what my group wants out of gaming on a regular basis (believe it or not), but it can be fun. And that's likely how I'd see the one-shot of D&D in this scenario.

I will play anything a friend of mine will run (assuming I have time).

Yep. Pretty much this. I have been playing in a bi-weekly 4E campaign with friends for about a year now. Next session we will celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the campaign. For me, the system is just there. Its the company that makes the game worth attending.

Stormonu

Legend
If I was asked to DM, certainly not. If asked to join as a player I'd look for any excuse to play something else or be somewhere else, but I have a feeling I probably could be talked into it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads