• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

would you play your least fav edition if asked by friends

darjr

I crit!
My first answer is "Yes, absolutely!"

The I realized I have friends that game that I can't game with because we'd all be in a big room of dozens of folks all trying to be in the same game. I have friends that I just don't have the time to game with because my plate if already full. So I guess I'd have to change my answer to... I'd most certainly want to, heck yes, but I might not be able to.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What puzzles me is how people with families and other obligations aren't as discriminating.

Well, for me, that's pretty simple: there are a great many different gaming experiences that I find roughly equally pleasing. Sure, different rule sets play differently. But I don't have only one style of play that I find fun.

To me, it is like saying, "It puzzles me that folks don't just eat one kind of cookie." I find lots of different kinds of cookies pleasing!

NewJeffCT

First Post
Yes, I would play in any version of D&D. However, I won't DM 3e or 3.5e again unless it's not more than a one-shot deal. Too much prep work required.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I value time spent with good friends over time spent with good games, so when I can't have both, I'll err in favor of good friends with not-great games rather than NOT hanging out with friends but not having to play a crappy game. To pull the economist's trick of reducing everything to empty cost-benefit, the benefit I get from a night with good friends vastly exceeds the cost of doing something kind of dull with them. I'm a person who'd much rather be around awesome people than being by myself, so there's not a whole lot of things a group of friends would invite me to do that I'd be like "nope, sounds lame, see you next time."

I started this thread hoping against hope that I could disprove the schism thread... that almost no one would say "No I wont play X" At first it looked good, that first page looked like people were acting like it was a crazy thought...

I have lost a little bit of faith:(:.-( in my fellow gamers today...

Ahnehnois

First Post
I count on my players to take me to task if I run a bad game. I don't think they'd be doing me any favors if they just showed up for anything I ran. Seems fair to reverse that.

To me, it's a good thing if people are invested enough in the hobby to care about the quality of what they're doing.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I started this thread hoping against hope that I could disprove the schism thread... that almost no one would say "No I wont play X" At first it looked good, that first page looked like people were acting like it was a crazy thought...

I figured it was only a matter of time before a post like this came up. And frankly, I don't care what you think of me or if I contributed to you losing your faith in gamers. The truth is, I have plenty of opportunities to play all sorts of games with my friends - from D&D, to Star Wars, to MechWarrior, to Vampire, to Pathfinder, to Call of Cthulhu, and to Torg. And I don't participate in all of these opportunities. I don't need to. None of us participate in all of them. We don't need to. We're content to pick and choose the ones we want to participate in and we are content when our friends do the same. Why should that affect your faith in gamers? Moreover, why should you or anybody else imply there's something wrong with that or that the tabletop gaming community or friendships are somehow diminished by it?

delericho

Legend
Well, with the caveat that I didn't actually have time for gaming (any game, any edition) yesterday, my answer to the question is yes. For me, the people around the table are vastly more important than the specifics of the game played.

Besides, I've had fun with my least-favourite edition, so it's not exactly the hardest sell.

I don't care what you think of me or if I contributed to you losing your faith in gamers.
I call BS, if you didn't care, and since I didn't address you specifically if you didn't care I would not be reading this. You only posted because on some level it affected you.

See I didn't address one person because no one person could do it, I expected at least SOMEONE would say no... it was the amount that did, not just outliers.

The truth is, I have plenty of opportunities to play all sorts of games with my friends - from D&D, to Star Wars, to MechWarrior, to Vampire, to Pathfinder, to Call of Cthulhu, and to Torg. And I don't participate in all of these opportunities.
ok, but that wasn't really the question at all.
Lets say you had the time and money to go hang out with 4-6 of your good friends tomorrow for the 40th birthday of D&D, but one of them said "Hey I'm DMing X" where X is the version of D&D you most dislike or like the least.

Would you go to play the game you dislike? what if it was the only game you could go to, so it is literally that or nothing tomorrow?
see the question was NOT "Hey if you could pick and choose and play any game any time... it was only game in town..

Why should that affect your faith in gamers?
because we are so broken that it isn't even 'hanging out with friends' anymore. Some of us have become so entrenched we would rather do nothing then play the game, if it isn't the exact version of the game we want.

Moreover, why should you or anybody else imply there's something wrong with that or that the tabletop gaming community or friendships are somehow diminished by it?

Oh I didn't imply any such thing... infact the only thing I mentioned was my own faith in us as a group.. so anything you added to the statement about gaming community (other then my faith in it) or your friendships is all you. I would suggest you look at why you think your friendships are somehow diminished to the point you have to strike out claiming they are not, when no one brought it up but you...

Remove ads