• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you require a roll for this?

soviet

Hero
Ultimately as a GM you are either looking for reasons to go with player creativity or looking for reasons to stop it.

If every time players come up with this kind of idea you go with it, they are going to interact with their environment more and try to solve future problems creatively as well. Presumably, this is what you want.

If every time players come up with this kind of idea you find reasons to shut it down or roll anyway, players are going to recognise that and stop bothering. 'Oh there's a trap huh, roll to disarm I guess'. Or even 'I'm not a spellcaster, I will sit out the exploration phase'. Presumably, this is not what you want.

You get the game that you reward.

soviet

Hero
What are your adventurers even doing in a dungeon if there aren't any monsters to fight or parlay with? I honestly don't understand the idea of an empty dungeon being even the slightest bit interesting to explore.
What?

Traps to spot and bypass
Secret doors and levels to explore
Treasures to find
Routes/portals to other locations to find
Natural or magical phenomena to interact with
Secrets and lost lore to find

Stormonu

Legend
I think I agree on disadvantage for picking the lock itself with the gauntlets on, but getting an AC/save advantage with them if/when the trap is sprung

Mage Hand could open it if it was unlocked, though unless the character was an Arcane Trickster, I'm not sure its dextrous enough to be used to pick a lock. Unseen Servant could open an unlocked chest, but couldn't do anything with a locked one (except maybe purposely spring the trap). Knock would work, but that expends a spell slot.

Andvari

Hero
What are your adventurers even doing in a dungeon if there aren't any monsters to fight or parlay with? I honestly don't understand the idea of an empty dungeon being even the slightest bit interesting to explore.
“No scavengers” leaves plenty of room for the usual tomb guardian suspects like undead or golems.

Reynard

Legend
What?

Traps to spot and bypass
Secret doors and levels to explore
Treasures to find
Routes/portals to other locations to find
Natural or magical phenomena to interact with
Secrets and lost lore to find
Those all sound great, but again, for me, as player or GM, not also including active creature threats and potential NPCs to interact with, it would be dull as dishwater.

Andvari

Hero
Those all sound great, but again, for me, as player or GM, not also including active creature threats and potential NPCs to interact with, it would be dull as dishwater.
The fighter will probably get a little bored unless it’s a very small dungeon. :)

Oofta

Legend
Ultimately as a GM you are either looking for reasons to go with player creativity or looking for reasons to stop it.

If every time players come up with this kind of idea you go with it, they are going to interact with their environment more and try to solve future problems creatively as well. Presumably, this is what you want.

If every time players come up with this kind of idea you find reasons to shut it down or roll anyway, players are going to recognise that and stop bothering. 'Oh there's a trap huh, roll to disarm I guess'. Or even 'I'm not a spellcaster, I will sit out the exploration phase'. Presumably, this is not what you want.

You get the game that you reward.

I reward creative and intelligent play. I don't encourage "Come up with anything, even something that should not work, and hope the DM goes along with it." I get plenty out of the box thinking in part because I will tell people "You can't do that" followed by a "What are you trying to accomplish." Then we can work together to figure out an alternative. After all we're building a shared fictional world here, my view of that world will never be 100% agreement with the player but through discussion we can frequently work something out. I find that a back and forth is far more engaging. Note that this also goes with many things players attempt, I'll tell people that the halfling has low strength and can't jump across the chasm because it's too far but review options.

So if for some reason the PC things putting on gauntlets will protect them from a needle trap, I'll tell them that I disagree and why - that the need is going to pierce the part of the hand not covered by the metal of the gauntlet. But maybe through discussion we could come up with some other way of disarming it.

It's a myth that "Always saying yes" always leads to a better game. I find "No" with a follow-up and discussion is more engaging in many cases.

Oofta

Legend
I think I agree on disadvantage for picking the lock itself with the gauntlets on, but getting an AC/save advantage with them if/when the trap is sprung

Mage Hand could open it if it was unlocked, though unless the character was an Arcane Trickster, I'm not sure its dextrous enough to be used to pick a lock. Unseen Servant could open an unlocked chest, but couldn't do anything with a locked one (except maybe purposely spring the trap). Knock would work, but that expends a spell slot.
I agree, the Arcane Trickster's version of mage hand specifically calls out that it's a special version of the spell. Also don't forget that Knock is quite loud and can be heard 300 feet away.

Remove ads