• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

would you....

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
What are the odds of a Lawful Good Dwarf?
What are the odds of a Dwarf taking levels in Sorcerer?

What are the odds of that Lawful Good Dwarf becoming a Sorcerer?

Waitaminute!

<Checks sig>

Oh, snap, that's me! :uhoh: :eek: :lol:

taliesin15

First Post
Such things have been on the table at least since 1980 when Deities and Demigods pointed the way to Cthulhu-esque flavor into D&D.

I would say, why bother ripping off the movies, why not invent something new. Like aliens that mate by squelching out large blasts of caustic gas at each other (colored dayglo green to increase the comic book effect). Perhaps they could be all tricked out with neon-outlined hubcaps that spin in opposite directions, Poke-Me-Mon tattoos, and a gold diamond encrusted grill (vanity braces) that spell out the words "Big Money"?

Goblyn

Explorer
I've considered different possibilities using the a couple of templates:

awakened lion paladin

awakened spider necromancer with the undead cohort option(can't remember what book that was from) and rides around in its empty skull, shooting ray spells out the eye sockets.

I guess the 'wierdest' thing I've played would be an astral deva as outlined in savage species.

guardianfallenangel said:
no specific campaign, was just thinking about how fun it would be to play. it might be fun in star wars, play the xenomorph as a jedi....

As a DM in a game where xenomoprh's fit.. sure. One major downside that the player would have to think about is that xenomorphs would then *exist*... :]

I have the FASA Aliens game and some indie D20 conversions that are okay.

As a player, I have been in a StarWars game that ended up including bunches of things..one of which was a 'Predator' character. So of course, the DM ran with the plot line that Predators created Aliens for hunting... so we ended up running into a hive of the damn things.... with my character being out front as the groups scout. Not pleasant :)
That was a great couple of sessions tho, and ended in the classic 'Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure' approach.

A major concern for a player taking this option would be the high level of problems the character would cause in any encounter. Unless we are talking late 'Music of the Spears' timeline, the character would be despised and attacked by anyone with a big enough weapon to get away with it. This would, of course, cause problems within the team.
Altho an interesting variant would be to do the all xeno group :)

Merkuri

Explorer
I would probably allow a player to play anything, but their would be realistic consequences. As long as they knew the consequences of playing something that strange and they were willing to accept said consequences then be my guest.

In the case of an awakened Alien-type creature, such a beast would be immediately mistrusted at the least, and may even be attacked on sight. If the player was willing to disguise himself each time they entered civilization - or even stay out of civilization altogether - to avoid hostilities then he can play it.

If it was a purely hack-n-slash game where nobody was worried about roleplaying (though that's not usually my cup of tea) then I wouldn't bat an eye at playing something that strange.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I once played a depressed goth Dust Mephit necromancer.

Very fun.

And once I played an evil Drow wizard in a game where we were out to overthrow an evil Drow empire. He was very fun, since he had a perfectly solid reason to be on a "good" adventure ... he wasn't philosophically opposed to evil empires ... just ones where he wasn't the evil emperor and low on the totem pole to boot.

I don't go in for crazy odd, usually. There's alot of stuff I haven't played that's perfectly "normal". I'm one of those people that could happily play a paladin a dozen times with a dozen different personalities and character builds. I dig on the 3e.

EDIT: I, myself, am a draconian GM. All of my D&D games have been about 90% Core Rules Only. No anthro-feral bahleen whale vow of poverty monks. I usually allow in a few feats and such that I've pre-approved from the Complete books, possibly a core class if somebody asked, but generally no new races.

--fje

I have been over the last year or so been working on making movie monsters with the d20 system as accurately as possible using books, movies, comics whatever i can find on them.
Ive done an Alien (and it's various forms) and all i can say is that it depends. If you make it like how i made them, then no, their too good, unless they came from a 1 hit die human, then maybe and only if there was a dang good reason it was intelligent, such as genetic engineering.

What about the half Alien from the Colonial Marines series published i guess well over 10 years ago by Dark Horse. those guys seem liek they would be balanced enough to play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads