• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Wow, 5.5e characters are STRONG!

You can make an argument both ways. On the one hand, a hit point is a hit point. On the other, classes like wizards are balanced around having fewer hit points as they have more ways to stay out of danger, so one hit point is indeed worth proportionally more to them. Context matters.
Of course. This is why it is a faulty reasoning (synonym for fallacy) that hp is always worth more for low hp classes. Because context matters.

I'm curious how this would work for time-sensitive adventures, specifically Red Hand of Doom, where you need to be racing all over doing everything you can with the time you have. You don't really have downtime in those instances; I'm thinking gritty rest would be too harsh for those cases :'(
If the adventure is especially built for the standard rest model* and you get 6 to 8 encounters per rest, you should probably keep the standard rest model.
I do however expect the adventure to drain enough resources from long rest classes though and then put burden on the short rest ones.

My experience is that most adventures do just not have those time constraints and spreading the adventur day out over several days keeps the balance of classes better.

*Note that I do not know this adventure.

Sounds like a problem with class guides online.
Yes. That is true.

I just hope the custom rules get a big picture and are put before the example backgrounds which are called "example backgrounds".

Presentation and organization of 2014 rule books was a bit lackluster at some point putting the wrong things in the focus.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
That is graphics design not game design
it’s the same thing. The visual way you present rules to a reader impacts their comprehension and retention of information.

That’s one of the most critical elements of a games playtest. Many a designer has written something they thought was “crystal clear”, but in playtest found 19 out of 20 people thought it was something else. That’s not the readers fault, the designer has to recognize that and adjust

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This.

The more WotC claims 2024 is compatible with 2014, the more you know they must find another way of making sure nobody stays with 2014.
The plan is to make transitioning or not transitioning or just partially transitioning painless, so that people keep playing and build their brand.

CapnZapp

Legend
The plan is to make transitioning or not transitioning or just partially transitioning painless, so that people keep playing and build their brand.
That's what they've been telling you, yes.

Of course the plan is to make as many people switch.

The question is how to do that without pissing people off?

By making them want to rather than to feel forced.

What's a surefire way to accomplish that?

Part one: tell them they don't have to switch.

Part two: give new characters more freebies.

Part three: Profit.

More insidiously: change an annoyingly large amount of small details under the pretense of "improving" the game, so it becomes a pain to keep playing the original (unless you completely isolate yourself).

Look this isn't rocket science.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's what they've been telling you, yes.

Of course the plan is to make as many people switch.

The question is how to do that without pissing people off?

By making them want to rather than to feel forced.

What's a surefire way to accomplish that?

Part one: tell them they don't have to switch.

Part two: give new characters more freebies.

Part three: Profit.

More insidiously: change an annoyingly large amount of small details under the pretense of "improving" the game, so it becomes a pain to keep playing the original (unless you completely isolate yourself).

Look this isn't rocket science.
No, it really isn't rocket science. The main audience for new books are new players, but the less disruption they can create while still making people wxcited...better for their business. We are in Evergreen D&D now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads