D&D (2024) Wow, 5.5e characters are STRONG!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Well, no.

The one real boost is the Feat at first Level...but every book publisjed aince Mythinc Odysseys of Theros in 2020 haa had thoae as standard, over three years now.
...with a rule that indicates if a character doesn't have a background feat, to take Tough or Skilled.

rogues and monks are trash tier, and rangers except Gloomstalker are semi-trash.

You think rogues are trash tier? Now I understand why we're not seeing eye-to-eye. Our experiences in 5e have been very different. I've played rogues and DMed them and have never, ever thought they were underpowered, much less "trash".

if a literal cantrip isn't your idea of a minor effect, i actually don't know what i could possibly tell you.

A cantrip which does literally the least damage possible, but which people still use heavily because the effect is really good. And now every first level fighter with a standard 15g longsword gets that effect every round. That's pretty nice, actually. Other weapon masteries are even better. And more importantly, you have to factor in all the other buffs and changes.

Question to the skeptics: have you actually whipped up several characters under the playtest rules, stern to bow, with an eye toward optimization? I also thought the buffs were pretty minor until I did. It wasn't until I saw everything together on one character sheet that I was impressed.

Question to the skeptics: have you actually whipped up several characters under the playtest rules, stern to bow, with an eye toward optimization? I also thought the buffs were pretty minor until I did. It wasn't until I saw everything together on one character sheet that I was impressed.
i don't really care how the sheets look. i want to know how they play. i haven't rolled up a playtest character because i'd have no opportunity to test it. that's why i asked how they played, because it sounded to me like you'd actually ran a game with them and i wanted to know how it went.

Horwath

Legend
You think rogues are trash tier? Now I understand why we're not seeing eye-to-eye. Our experiences in 5e have been very different. I've played rogues and DMed them and have never, ever thought they were underpowered, much less "trash".
they are fun in RP, but in combat, especially in melee they are bad.

Low AC, low HPs.

Now, new Vex and Nick masteries do help, as you can Disengage as Bonus action and still have two chances to land sneak attack.
Before that, only viable DPS way for rogue is elf with elven accruracy and exploiting Aim Bonus action as much as possible and possibly staying 150ft away from melee.
A cantrip which does literally the least damage possible, but which people still use heavily because the effect is really good.
people use it because it's the only option, not because it's good.

Not all of them. Dwarves can grant themselves Tremorsense multiple times a day. That's really good! Humans keep the extra 1st level feat and also get inspiration for free every day.
(Variant) Humans do not keep "the extra first level feat". Humans used to have access to some of the most powerful feats in the game (e.g. Polearm Master, Great Weapon Fighter, or War Caster). They now get the extra inspiration to make up for the fact that they are restricted to the sort of feats like Skilled or Tough that no one ever took. The weakest variant humans are significantly more powerful but the strongest are actively slightly weaker.
Rogues are quite a bit stronger, even before you factor in weapon masteries. So are rangers. So are monks. If you don't think classes as a whole are stronger, I don't know what to tell you.
If you think that either rogues or monks were strong classes rather than among the weakest classes in the game I don't know what to tell you. And rangers aren't a lot stronger than Tasha's rangers, while the PHB ranger was so bad they had multiple revisions.
Paladin is the most powerful class in the game, so if they're a little weaker, good.
Debatable that it is more powerful than full casters - but yes, that's the point. The rogue, ranger, and monk can now hang with the paladin. And the sorcerer should be able to hang with the wizard.

The goal is that a party of wizard, moon druid, cleric, and paladin should be more or less unchanged in power from their classes (probably slightly nerfed) - while a party of four elements monk, sorcerer, assassin rogue, and beastmaster ranger, all without Tasha's, will be massively boosted to the point they can hang with the wizard, moon druid, cleric, paladin party.

Remove ads