• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wreck ashore (El Jefe judging) (Finished)

Someone

Adventurer
“Asking won´t hurt you” answers Wil.

[ooc: since three of us went for the boat]

That same afternoon the party finds an available boat and his owner, a small fisherman called Rodac and agree on a 2 silver pieces per day fee (plus the food*) for leaving tomorrow. You spend what´s left of the day doing your business **, and sleep on Rodac´s home; it´s a small house, but he´s single since his wife died a couple years ago and his children already grew up and left the village –and you can understand why: it´s a boring place in the middle of nowhere.

“One of them turned to be a witch” comments Rodac. “I think that came from her mother´side. They said she was ´charming´, and they were quite right: she was able to make a man do what she wanted just speaking some funny words. I´ve not seen her for a long time, I wonder where she is.”

The next day, when the sun is already hurting Hulgyr´s eyes, Rodac leaves to prepare the boat, and soon you´re on your way. It´s a good change of pace, after ten days walking to have a rest and let the wind shower you with froth, and you wonder how a ship could sink in these waters.

“It´s not that difficult” says Rodac. “The waves are small because the Elbereth Sound bay is small as bays go and closed by those islands” the fisherman points north, to some barely seen land resting on the horizon. “But is also shallow, and dangerous, because you just need 7 feet of water to drown a man, and every rock bottom is a danger. See those white patches of white water? There are reefs there. Unless you´re a very experienced captain, you´ll use the normal routes, and only when you´re sure. That´s why they made the lighthouse: there´s a particulary difficult pass over there, and it saves a lot of time.”

At the same time, you watch the land parade at your left. At first sight, is sandy, arid, and very flat, but there are numerous groups of trees growing tightly in the places where the land is raised only a couple feet, and bushes cover most of what´s left. And sudden movements betrays the presence of many animals, and some of them must be quite big.

The sun sets and Rodac refuses to continue. “It would be dangerous to in the dark. We´ll continue tomorrow” affirms, and carefully runs aground the boat. At the light of the dying sun you see a sandy beach, and beyond more marshes. ***

ooc:
*which cost is negligible
**If can think on something you want to do in this time, post so.
*** I´ll need some details on how you´ll camp.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Wilhelm nods as Rodac tells the party about life in Seawell, listening to every word with sincere interest. A fisherman's life and ordeals were alien to the former nobleman, after all.

The Priest of Ayratha does not wear his armor aboard the boat, though he keeps his buckler, gear and weapons with him. He wears the armor soon after he gets back to dry land. The water unsettles him ever so slightly and he prefers the feel of tempered steel to seabreeze.

OOG: Wilhelm will want the first watch, since he's going to be praying for spells at dawn (and thus, will be distracted). He'll sleep as close to the fire (if the party is making one) as possible without burning himself. He'll also sleep in his armor (he has the Endurance feat).

B4cchus

Explorer
**: Hulgyr buys a couple of trail rations (8, edited on character sheet), tends to his equipment (applying some oil to protect them from rust), and mostly keeps inside so he doesn't cause too much excitement with the locals.

Hylgur finds the whole boattrip slightly unnerving, since he has never been opn a boat. He doesn't wear his armor while on the boat.

When Rodac mentions the islands Hulgyr skss if there is anything on them, approx. how big they are and if there are possibilities for shelter on them (like trees, caves, etc).

***: Hulgyr suggests we keep overlapping shifts, with two guards at any given time.
He explanis that this is the way he used to keep watch in the army: always two men on watch of which one is always fresh.
Hulgyr sleeps without armor, although he wears it when on guard shift.

B4cchus

Explorer
Hulgyr will take a middle watch (3rd), since he has no problems with seeing in the dark.

He sleeps on his bedroll, not too close to the fire (but close enough not to get too much seperated).
Hulgyr also asks if the rest agrees with his overlapping shifts watch schedule.

Someone

Adventurer
When Rodac mentions the islands Hulgyr skss if there is anything on them, approx. how big they are and if there are possibilities for shelter on them

Rodac stares at the orc for a couple seconds. “I don´t know” shrugs “I´ve never been so far away of Seawell”. It´s difficult to tell (specially for an orc under the sun) but it seems that here are several of them small and those in the horizon, visible only as a bluish grey shadow are quite big.

You don your armor as soon as you descend from the boat, and quickly decide how to organize watches. Before is totally dark Wilhem thinks it´d be a good idea to build a fire, and notices the group of trees less than a couple hundred yards inland. [There are bushes and tall grass nearby, but the wood from the bushes is good only to start a fire, and not for maintain it, since it´s too slim.]

ooc: I would have made Wilhem or B4cchus go for the wood, since it seems consistent with your posts, and the normal thing to do in these circumstances, but since we´re starting and I don´t know what balance between pace and DM´s supposition you´re comfortable with I prefer to wait for your input.

Someone

Adventurer
ooc: ok, I guess that would be enough.

The couple goes to the group of threes following a narrow game trail. But before they arrive there they hear a hostile hiss at their back, and turning the see a large snake looking at Wilhem as angrily as a snake can. He realizes he stepped on the camouflaged snake.

[The rest of the group must succeed on a Listen check, DC 10 to hear the snake hissing and be able to act this round. Roddick: 3+6=9, Eroin 2+6=8, so the elves are unaware of the problem.

Initiatives:

Wilhem 17+1=18
Snake 4+3 =7
Hulgyr: 5+1=6.

It isn´t dark enough to suffer any penalty.

As you can see in the map, the snake is Medium size.

In the map, the bushes are light undergrowth (movement costs double, provides concealment, +2 DC to tumble and move silently checks)]

Attachments

• Watchyourstep.zip
    76.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

B4cchus

Explorer
Hulgyr draws his greatsword as he advanced to the snake ("west" around Wilhem).
While he advances he shouts to the remainder of the group:"Trouble!"
When within reach he attack the snake with his greatsword (no power attack).

Remove ads