• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers X-Men '97 spoilers

Stalker0

Legend
The new episode is another banger!

The new sentinels (if bastion is to be believed) represent more than just a threat, they are a symbol.

This isn’t just some crazy villain doing some evil scheme…this is regular people. Fathers and mothers (as we saw in one scene), reporters and just regular people. People that are not just afraid of mutants but afraid of what they represent….irrelevancy. So afraid they are willing to go extremes to change things. While it’s possible they didn’t understand the extent of what they were signing on for, they clearly knew it was a radical body altering procedure.

At the end of the day, Charles might succeed in getting people to stop hating mutants. But he’s never going to be able to look at a mother and tell her “your child has no place in this new world”. Because that is what cable noted, mutations start to take off, and in a few generations will dominate the population. That irrelevancy will drive violence and extreme action. Considering the concerns of our current world with AI and the possibility of a large shift in jobs, it’s something that can be keenly felt in our zeitgeist

Stalker0

Legend
Some more notes:

1) while bastion might have hammed up the whole alien overlord angle…the truth is the X-men DID LIE about Xavier’s death.

2) with a snap of his fingers magneto just turned off civilization like a light switch. He’s not a man…he’s a god. Yeah how can normals possibly be expected to sit quietly when there are people like that around? Magneto is right.

3) I’m not a fan of this new cable. The old cable was much more gnarled and cynical, it might partly be the voice actor but I’m not not feeling this new version.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
while bastion might have hammed up the whole alien overlord angle…the truth is the X-men DID LIE about Xavier’s death.

Did they? They didn't knew if he was dead or alive, because the Professor never communicated with them (as said in episode 6). So, they didn't technically lie, but they also didn't tell the people that he was just "presumed dead".

Vael

Legend
I used to think it was a good think to have mutants outside of the MCU, their presence tends to make a lot of non-mutant superhero teams look problematic ... where were the Avengers when mutants get massacred? But that's also a feature because it does help the mutant metaphor and the "well it's not irrational to fear mutants" element. Because Doctor Doom exists and yet it's Magneto they call a mutie. The Fantastic Four are celebrities and the X-Men ... aren't.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The problem has always been that you're playing double-or-nothing going to war with superhumans; they might end up being an existential threat, but if you try to exterminate or enslave them, you assure it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I used to think it was a good think to have mutants outside of the MCU, their presence tends to make a lot of non-mutant superhero teams look problematic ... where were the Avengers when mutants get massacred? But that's also a feature because it does help the mutant metaphor and the "well it's not irrational to fear mutants" element. Because Doctor Doom exists and yet it's Magneto they call a mutie. The Fantastic Four are celebrities and the X-Men ... aren't.

I've still had problems believing more people would have a problem with Bobby Drake than Johnny Storm.

The problem has always been that you're playing double-or-nothing going to war with superhumans; they might end up being an existential threat, but if you try to exterminate or enslave them, you assure it.
Indeed, it's really best to just avoid genocide in general, doesn't ever seem to end well.

And the issue with the mutants isn't that they'll "wipe out" humanity, just that humanity will continue into evolve into them, so this whole characterisation of humanity being "wiped out" in a few generations that Bastion uses is a very tactical lie. Humanity won't be "wiped out", it'll be changed.

I've still had problems believing more people would have a problem with Bobby Drake than Johnny Storm.
Agree completely. There are quite a lot of non-mutants who I think the public would take more issue with than most mutants. There is the whole "anyone could be one" factor with a mutant, but frankly, given the sheer number of people who have turned into

Also Silver Samurai wow, now there's a guy I haven't thought of in a while! Also Omega Red! It's getting very "Marvel vs Capcom" in here (no coincidence that was from 1996!).

2) with a snap of his fingers magneto just turned off civilization like a light switch. He’s not a man…he’s a god. Yeah how can normals possibly be expected to sit quietly when there are people like that around? Magneto is right.
Simultaneously, the people who judged Magneto are dead wrong. He's an absolute saint. He could have done this at any time. He could have flown around the world and done it selectively to people he didn't like. He's actually shown huge restraint by sticking to relatively limited schemes and only deploying this when absolutely necessary.

Remove ads