• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X4: Master of the Desert Nomads - OOC

kinem

Adventurer
Indeed ;)

Let me know if I'm moving too fast.

BTW here's how I plan to run combat, but let me know if you have another preference:

The first round, I'll roll initiative for everyone. I'll group NPC actions together. This will create up to three groups of combatants:

1) (possibly) those PCs who act before the NPCs
2) the NPCs
3) this group includes all of the PCs, whether or not they acted before the NPCs

First, players with PCs in group 1 can post their actions, and that will be resolved. Your initiative bonus can help you get into this group.

Next, NPCs will act.

Then, PCs will act. The order in which you act depends on how soon you post, not on what your initiative roll was.

Once all PCs have acted, actions will continue to alternate between NPC and PC groups.

Jemal

Adventurer
it also works with delaying/readying actions.. if you want to post but the person you're waiting for hasn't gone yet
"Bob waits for one of his companions to charge into combat, and then attacks the other opponent with his magic missiles"

kinem

Adventurer
BTW, you generally shouldn't roll diplomacy checks. I said upfront that diplomacy would be nerfed. Basically, I will base NPC reactions more on your words (and my notion of how the NPC would think) than on rolls. I will try to take into account what your modifiers are, as well as circumstancial modifiers such as any prejudices they might have.

Any comments on that are welcome of course :)

Leif

Adventurer
My diplomacy check today was not a serious skill check. It was done very tongue-in-cheek. But, anyway, I knew that you had told us not to roll diplomacy, but I had already forogtten. Could I move Bevin's skill points spent on Diplomacy elsewhere?

kinem

Adventurer
Under the circumstances I would allow it, except that as far as I see, he doesn't have any!

Remember also that I will try to take the diplomacy modifier into account as one factor.

I will also observe the following: The locals here are not prejudiced against dwarves or halflings. They are at war with desert nomads who bear some resemblance (and perhaps ethnic ties) to the desert people of Ylarum. They are certainly prejudiced against orcs and necromancers. (The madman, of course, is a special case! ;) )

That set of prejudices would change if you start dealing with, for example, desert nomads.

Leif

Adventurer
kinem said:
Under the circumstances I would allow it, except that as far as I see, he doesn't have any!
You're so right! And I'm so embarrassed! (But, at least that means that I read what you said about it being a useless skill in your game. heh)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Bevin has zero ranks of Diplomacy, but he does have 5 ranks of "Gather Information." Is this handled similarly to Diplomacy, and, if so, could I re-allocate those 5 skill points somewhere more useful? And what about the "Search" skill -- if that's something you'd rather role-play out, then Bevin has 6 more ranks to re-allocate.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
kinem,

I forgot to purchase a melee weapon, I was thinking of a mace or morningstar? Would it be ok to buy one now?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads