• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X4: Master of the Desert Nomads - OOC

kinem

Adventurer
Have you all read the above link? Hule is the Master's country, ruled by him and other 'holy men'. You all know that much.

What will you do now?

kinem

Adventurer
I agree, Rhun: time for a roll call!

And here's some food for thought: Most D&D games feature a mix of combat, player interaction, and conversation between PCs and NPCs. PBP handles combat OK, IMO, if you use group initiative. I didn't start out using it as a PBP DM, but I saw the problems with RAW initiative and thought of a better way for PBP.

I'd like to see more player interaction, but the part that seems to cause the most problems is PC-NPC conversation. That's because there is typically only 1 or 2 PCs that feel comfortable handling it, unlike in combat where everyone does something. This can slow the game if the 'face' player is not posting often, and even if he is, the others can feel left out. What to do?

In some of my previous PBP games, in which the PCs had to infiltrate enemy lands, language was an issue. This was a realistic part of the challenge: if you are going to an exotic land, how exotic can it be if they speak the exact same language you do? And what self-respecting adventurer would confine his travels to non-exotic lands only? I never had any respect for TV shows in which aliens on every planet speak perfect English, and the only time accents or language barriers come into play is when people from other countries on Earth visit the heroes.

The worst was an Underdark game, in which one PC was a drow, and he was the only one who spoke their language. The PCs could cast tongues spells but never bothered to do so as the duration was limited. Needless to say, the other players felt left out. I was hoping they would be more proactive about acquiring better language and disguise magic before heading into the UD, but they weren't and my NPCs didn't offer it. In retrospect, I should have made sure that every non-drow PC had a "ring of tongues" (not just a pemanent casting, since dispel magic is not exactly a rare spell).

Here in X5, set in Mystara, it is assumed that the 'common tongue' is the same throught the continent. It would have been more realistic to give the isolated nation of Hule its own language, which a PC or 2 might know, but I wasn't about to make that mistake again.

Even so, the basic problem of unbalanced NPC interaction remains.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
I'm still around and interested in this game. Sorry for my lack of activity in this, RL was just taking too much energy for me to really be active.

As for your concerns, Kinem, I can certainly understand them. Jex was pretty quiet in town, despite his good CHA (and rather talkative nature besides), due to him being a wanted escapee and having a really bad Bluff. Thankfully we're avoiding the other settlements along the route, so it won't be quite so much of an issue, but he's a little spooked when it comes to servants of the Master...

Walking Dad

First Post
I'm here. Girgal waited outside during the last conversation, and I got the impression, most folks around were more trusting to humans, than monster-riding halflings ;)
If we meet more animals and other monsterriders, this would might be change.

Rhun

First Post
Aram has played something of the face of the group, despite his average CHA. If we level again, I hope to add some skill points to his social skills.

My biggest issue has been knowing which players are left in the game, and whether the PCs for the players that have disappeared are still around. Kiera, for example...did she leave us yet?

kinem

Adventurer
Kiera's long gone - she vanished when, in identifying magic items after the Great Pass, she picked up the jade dragon you found in the giant's hoard and it teleported her to parts unknown.

The current roster is supposed to be:

Rhun - Aram
Walking Dad - Girgal
Dragonwriter - Jex
evilhalfling - Father Fuller

I don't know if evilhalfling's still around - he hasn't posted in a while. If not, I may have to NPC FF.

Rhun

First Post
Kiera's long gone - she vanished when, in identifying magic items after the Great Pass, she picked up the jade dragon you found in the giant's hoard and it teleported her to parts unknown.

Now that you've jogged my memory, I recall that happening. :)

The current roster is supposed to be:

Rhun - Aram
Walking Dad - Girgal
Dragonwriter - Jex
evilhalfling - Father Fuller

I don't know if evilhalfling's still around - he hasn't posted in a while. If not, I may have to NPC FF.

Okay, good deal. I had it right, then.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads