• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything -- new mechanical expansion/UA book! -- November 10 with a limited-edition cover by Hydro74

[MENTION=82555]the[/MENTION]realvolk551 is this a thing in tomb of annihilation zombie t-rex that vomits out zombies?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls Oh it is very much a thing!
[MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION]81 SCAG says Chult is a peninsula again, but it was referred to as an island several times during the stream. Which is it?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls Peninsula.
[MENTION=17465]Wizard[/MENTION]s_DnD Did the Ranger, Revised make the cut?! :)
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls Very highly rated, but we'll see how we deliver it to you all.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Not every chance improves creativity, the undying light warlock actually reduces it, because there is no choice of warlock patron, so you can't individualize it.

I don't remember a lot about it (and it seems this new UA article I haven't read might have fixed the issue) but if the only problem was "It says your patron is the positive energy plane and not a specific being" that is a minor quibble of a problem. Easily fixed by just letting the player pick a patron that makes sense.

I actually have a Warlock I really want to play who is technically a Fiend PAct, but the story is that he found a fiend who was severely weakened by being sealed away and learned that it was possible to become a Archduke if he gained enough power. So he devoured this small fiend, gained power from it, and is now traveling the world trying to create his own cult to raised himself as a powerful being.

That is not an option per RAW, and I hope whichever DM I end up proposing it to does not see that as an issue.

GarrettKP

Explorer
I don't remember a lot about it (and it seems this new UA article I haven't read might have fixed the issue) but if the only problem was "It says your patron is the positive energy plane and not a specific being" that is a minor quibble of a problem. Easily fixed by just letting the player pick a patron that makes sense.

I actually have a Warlock I really want to play who is technically a Fiend PAct, but the story is that he found a fiend who was severely weakened by being sealed away and learned that it was possible to become a Archduke if he gained enough power. So he devoured this small fiend, gained power from it, and is now traveling the world trying to create his own cult to raised himself as a powerful being.

That is not an option per RAW, and I hope whichever DM I end up proposing it to does not see that as an issue.

Funny enough this new Patron (Undying light but rebranded) actually does fix this issue and allows for multiple different celestial patrons.

Angelo Pantano

First Post
Let's run the numbers:
All the subclasses to date fill around 35 pages. Downtime is 14 pages, feats are 5, traps are 13, and spells are 5. Battlesystem is 5 pages and encounter building is 4. Revised ranger is 8.
That's less than 100 pages, and we know that not all the subclasses are making it in.

There's a lot of pages of content we know nothing about...

Is this a guess or official? I only heard official words about Downtime, Traps and Archetypes. Nothing about the revised Ranger and Feats. Do you have a link to the source of this info?

Is this a guess or official? I only heard official words about Downtime, Traps and Archetypes. Nothing about the revised Ranger and Feats. Do you have a link to the source of this info?
Neither.
By pulling in everything (which includes a hell of a lot more subclasses than they're actually doing) it really highlights how much space there is in the book that is unknown: i.e half the book.

I suspect we'll see the ranger (since it's close to done, really desired, and needs less work than the artificer and mystic) And feats as they're unlikely to find a better place and we haven't seen any prior.

Please share your definition of fluff, and point out where you think the thread has used the term improperly. Thank you.

"Fluff" has become an acceptable term for "non-crunch" in games, and I despise it. It implies a level of unimportance that is utterly at odds with what an RPG should be. I far prefer the term "flavor."

AFAIAC--and I recognize this is a personal quirk, and I'm alone fighting on this hill--it's never used properly in discussions of RPG books.

Neither.
By pulling in everything (which includes a hell of a lot more subclasses than they're actually doing) it really highlights how much space there is in the book that is unknown: i.e half the book.

I suspect we'll see the ranger (since it's close to done, really desired, and needs less work than the artificer and mystic) And feats as they're unlikely to find a better place and we haven't seen any prior.

I think the person you were replying to was unaware of the official product page when they made that comment, since we now now more of what will be in the book.

As for the revised ranger, the replies on Twitter from Mearls are vague on this. Vague enough that I feel they will release it as an official, but free, pdf, like the Elemental Evil Player's Guide. It really sounds like they do not want people to feel the have to buy an entire new book just to get the class. They are not that greedy with this edition of the game.

Cyrinishad

Explorer
"Fluff" has become an acceptable term for "non-crunch" in games, and I despise it. It implies a level of unimportance that is utterly at odds with what an RPG should be. I far prefer the term "flavor."

AFAIAC--and I recognize this is a personal quirk, and I'm alone fighting on this hill--it's never used properly in discussions of RPG books.

I will readily join your fight on "Flavor" hill... Down with Fluff! Up with Flavor!

Remove ads