D&D 5E Xanathar's Healing Spirit is 10d6 healing to the whole party out of combat?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Well... technically is isn't anything you couldn't do already with healing potions. It does save a lot of gold compared to that, but you don't necessarily have a lot to spend gold on anyway.

Shiroiken

Legend
Well... technically is isn't anything you couldn't do already with healing potions. It does save a lot of gold compared to that, but you don't necessarily have a lot to spend gold on anyway.
Unless your DM doesn't allow Potions of Healing to be purchased, or limits their availability. Or just limits the amount of gold you find.

CM

Adventurer
Been trying to decide for weeks now how to houserule this one. I really like the idea of the spell, as it seems inspired by the 4e shaman's spirit heals.

First, I would make it slightly easier to use in combat: Give the spirit a 5' aura, and let each ally who enters the aura or starts its turn there gain the heal (the thought of people having to run *through* the spirit seems silly).

Second, limit the healing charges, maybe 8 + spellcasting bonus. The tweeted limit of 2x spellcasting bonus seems too stingy.

5ekyu

Hero
It would have been better if the designers did a better job so we didn't have to.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

You and i do not always agree on the role of the designers vs customized stuff... but here we do agree.

this one was to me a no brainer obvious break down that should have been seen way before it hit publication.

That said, while their "temporary fix" is workable and obviously just intended to cap the total healing to a reasonable commodity like we suggested, i actually like better one of the other poster's ideas - allow it to heal as much as it can but it wont heal you again unless more damage is taken.

So, in combat where damage is coming in, passing thru multiple times - and the tactical difficulties that imposes -works. But out of combat, you get the one pass (or a very limited number of passes - say to max roll result is achieved.)

That IMO helps to balance it as a potent HoT for combat and its post-combat reset roles better than just the flat cap does.

A flat cap is dull. Don't need more "dull."

You and i do not always agree on the role of the designers vs customized stuff... but here we do agree.

this one was to me a no brainer obvious break down that should have been seen way before it hit publication.

That said, while their "temporary fix" is workable and obviously just intended to cap the total healing to a reasonable commodity like we suggested, i actually like better one of the other poster's ideas - allow it to heal as much as it can but it wont heal you again unless more damage is taken.

So, in combat where damage is coming in, passing thru multiple times - and the tactical difficulties that imposes -works. But out of combat, you get the one pass (or a very limited number of passes - say to max roll result is achieved.)

That IMO helps to balance it as a potent HoT for combat and its post-combat reset roles better than just the flat cap does.

A flat cap is dull. Don't need more "dull."

Character pulls down a needle, pricks his finger (or yanks out a knife and stabs himself in the hand, or has the fighter punch him in the face for 1 HP damage) and proceeds to walk through the spirit once more.

I'm not sure even your fix plugs all the holes.

5ekyu

Hero
Character pulls down a needle, pricks his finger (or yanks out a knife and stabs himself in the hand, or has the fighter punch him in the face for 1 HP damage) and proceeds to walk through the spirit once more.

I'm not sure even your fix plugs all the holes.

My paraphrase wording was poor - intent was only heals damage taken after the last heal - which was more what the original poster -of that idea- had suggested.

but, i can at least admit that misstep as soon as its pointed out, and mea culpa, and did not need a series of stages of "no thats what its meant to do and we will monitor it to see if thats crazy to have done" followed by "maybe in some games it should have this limit" and the likely inevitable later own "no, this limited version (maybe new) is RAW."

Remove ads