D&D 5E Xanathar's Healing Spirit is 10d6 healing to the whole party out of combat?

CapnZapp

Legend
Isn't it easier to just scrap the spell and start over on a design that actually does not completely trivialize hp resource management?

This spell is just wands of CLW all over. No thanks.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The simple way to play it is to have it act like every other spell that acts on a space and has an effect on the creature in that space.

Have it heal 1d6 at the start of a creature's turn if they are in the space.

This whole thing is similar to people using Moonbeam to hit all enemies by moving it around.

5ekyu

Hero
The simple way to play it is to have it act like every other spell that acts on a space and has an effect on the creature in that space.

Have it heal 1d6 at the start of a creature's turn if they are in the space.

This whole thing is similar to people using Moonbeam to hit all enemies by moving it around.
That would basically cut it in half, every othercround, but still 5d6 per character at second, 10d6 at third, 15d6 each as 4th etc. The repeated hits are the huge problem esp with the slot level as a **multiplier**

If you wanted more controlled scaling maybe limit heals per character over the life of the spell to spell slot.

Base level anybody can get two hits anytime over the,minute.

Use 3rd level slot, everybody gets three hits.

Etc..

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Let's take a step back and look at the spell and it's introduction.

Does it solve a problem that playing without it has? No.

Does it fill a niche? No.

Does it add a headache that wasn't there previously? Yes.

In conclusion, the easiest and safest and least intrusive solution, therefore the best solution, is to simply not use the spell.

Ignore it. Ban it. Every problem solved with a minimum of hassle.

You can use the time saved to write the designers, asking them politely to playtest and balance their content better in the future.

You're welcome.

5ekyu

Hero
Let's take a step back and look at the spell and it's introduction.

Does it solve a problem that playing without it has? No.

Does it fill a niche? No.

Does it add a headache that wasn't there previously? Yes.

In conclusion, the easiest and safest and least intrusive solution, therefore the best solution, is to simply not use the spell.

Ignore it. Ban it. Every problem solved with a minimum of hassle.

You can use the time saved to write the designers, asking them politely to playtest and balance their content better in the future.

You're welcome.

Hmmm

I recall the designers looking for ways to close some gaps with XGtE. I also know from experience having say a druid instead of cleric can be problematic. Maybe not so much in 5e.

So i think they saw Healing Spirit as solving the problem of limited healing group scale for druids. Its the flavorful prayer of healing, just very very botched in execution.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I agree Healing Spirit is stronger than any other current healing option in the game.

But, having full hp going into the next fight in exchange for a level 2-5 spell slot (depending on character level) isn't something that will break the game.

There are already so many options for gaining hp back out of combat it's pretty ridiculous. Short rest. Healing potions. Clerics casting their spells. Long rest. Healer feat etc. In other words, if players desired they could already have full hp going into every fight. There may be some drawback (like with resting) or more resources expended for the same amount of healing (see the clerics healing spells).

It's just the Healing Spirit spell does it better for less resources. I just can't get behind the notion that Healing Spirit should be banned because it's a more efficient way of doing something already in the game.

As a DM all that needs done to challenge players that have more HP is plan encounters a little harder than you would have in the past. An extra goblin here. An extra Orc there. Etc. You see, those spell slots the Druid/Ranger uses for healing spirit casts are a limited resource. So you can still whittle the parties resources down. It's just they won't notice their hp being the resource that's being slowly depleted. Instead they will by very wary of how many Healing Spirits the Druid can still cast.

jasper

Rotten DM
Did I miss read the spell. I thought you had to begin or end your turn in the square it was cast at? Could some type up the spell we all on same page.

Did I miss read the spell. I thought you had to begin or end your turn in the square it was cast at? Could some type up the spell we all on same page.

The relevant text is:

Xanthar's Guide to Everything said:
Until the spell ends, whenever you or a creature you can see moves into the spirit's space for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, you can cause the spirit to restore 1d6 hit points to that creature (no action required).

So it triggers on beginning and entry.

Stalker0

Legend
It's just the Healing Spirit spell does it better for less resources. I just can't get behind the notion that Healing Spirit should be banned because it's a more efficient way of doing something already in the game.

I would argue this is the primary reason to ban anything in the game. The vast majority of OP things do something more efficiently than other options.

Remember that 5e challenge is not based on an encounter...it’s based on a string of 5-6 encounters. This is especially true at higher levels where a party can handle “deadly” encounters with ease until they have been drained of some resources.

So anything that replenishes resources easily can be quite powerful...it’s not as obvious as something cast in combat.

Though speaking of combat. If a player is knocked out on the spirits space. At the start of their turn they get the healing...does that mean they get their turn?

If so, thst is an incredible combat advantage. It’s like regeneration but 4 levels lower

Remove ads