• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Xath and Archon: Kids in the Hall

Archon

First Post
Enough mud slinging

Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
We did discuss it in person... or tried to... however, it was quickly shoved to the back-burner. Hopefully we'll get it all worked out in the next couple days, though. :)

We can all just deal with it. Let's stop the "nay saying" and just go with what we got. If you don't like what's going on with our characters that's too bad, cause it's happening.
So, my solution is, instead of fighting about what's going on, we work together to get a good story. All this "your solutions are only causing more problems" crap is for the birds.
If you have a better solution, bring it to the table. As of now, Archon isn't deciding one way or the other. Why? because that is what is needed to make the game more enjoyable for everyone. And that is why we play to have fun, not MAKE fun.
In conclussion, we're all good friends so let's not have this be a problem. It's just a game so get over it.

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
We did discuss it in person... or tried to... however, it was quickly shoved to the back-burner. Hopefully we'll get it all worked out in the next couple days, though. :)
Xath said:
I'm going to ask that we stop this dynamic now. If we have issues in person, we can work them out in person. But making accusations on the boards doesn't help anyone and it upsets plenty of people.

As has been clearly demonstrated, it's not really any easier to talk about disagreements in person. You might be able to more effectively communicate what you want to communicate, but that doesn't necessarily soften the message in any way - in fact, at times, it can merely serve to dump gas on the flames.

Efforts were made to talk about it in person, and as I think we all recall, that wasn't really an ideal situation, either.

The important thing, as Mik has noted, is to make sure that the story makes some kind of sense, at least, and that people are having some fun.

That's it. The end. Fin.

I have a responsibility to try to make sure that you all are participating in something interesting and enjoyable. But you have that responsibility as well - both for yourselves, and for each other. As much as JC and I might enjoy it, we're not going to base the game on playing out mass battles - that's one way that he and I engage in our responsibilities to you. It might be the BEST for us, but it's probably the WORST for some of you - who friggin' cares, right?

You play in a group, and so (like it or not) you do have some responsibility to the group. Further, at some point you have to trust each other that some decisions aren't going to be game-wreckers.

Most importantly, you have to trust me when I say that some decisions *are* going to be game-wreckers. I'm the only one that can know for sure, and so I am *never lying* when I tell you, any of you, that you cannot/should not/would not do something.

There are times when you may want to try to do something, in or out of character, that I say is a poor idea. No matter how cool you might think such a thing is, remember that there are other players who may have an opinion (even if it's *your* character) since *your* character's actions have an effect on everyone's enjoyment of the game.

For instance, if you think it would be awesome to skinny dip in the pit of despair, that's a bad idea. No matter how neat of a moment you think it would be for your character to emerge unscathed from such a dangerous (and frankly stupid) action, the fact remains that he or she isn't going to. It's called the pit of despair for a reason. There are consequences to actions, and not all of them are good. You will not succeed at everything, ESPECIALLY not things that are just dumb (and yes, the decision as to what is dumb and what is not is unconditionally mine).

The rules of the universe (and thus, the Universe) will bend for your characters at times. *I* decide when those times are. You do not and cannot, or else there is no need for a Game Master at all (maybe that's a preferable situation to you - if so, let me know. ;)). If I ask for argument, give it to me. But when I decide (and let you know that I have decided), the time for argument is absolutely, completely done.

SO, in conclusion, if I say something is not going to be a big deal, you have to trust me when I say that it will not. I am the only one that can make sure it will not be. Some things, alternatively, will be a big deal. Know that they are that way for a reason. Trying to *inflate* an issue or *deflate* one only serves to take the game out of the hands of the one person who is absolutely, definitely, for-sure trying to make sure that everyone has a good time, and that the story that results is satisfying.

Trust me. Let me do my job, here, and I guarantee that I will help you do yours.

Xath

Moder-gator
Thank you. Even if we don't say it often enough, we all do appreciate everything you do. No matter how much we may (complain) and moan. :)

The_Universe

First Post
We can all just deal with it. Let's stop the "nay saying" and just go with what we got. If you don't like what's going on with our characters that's too bad, cause it's happening.
I'm the only one that gets to say, "that's too bad, cause it's happening." It may be, but it will do so because someone has everyone's enjoyment in mind, and not the theoretical feelings of a theoretical person. It just has to make action movie/fantasy novel sense, not real world sense. There aren't draconids, magical oaths, and ring (boobie) gates in the real world, and so taking it too seriously ONLY HURTS.

Take it kind of seriously, sure. Don't turn it into a sitcom. But don't try to turn it into Beverly Hills 90210, either.

So, my solution is, instead of fighting about what's going on, we work together to get a good story. All this "your solutions are only causing more problems" crap is for the birds.
Some actions are not solutions at all, they are merely actions. The reason that we have arrived at this difficulty is because few seem to understand that important difference.

If you have a better solution, bring it to the table. As of now, Archon isn't deciding one way or the other. Why? because that is what is needed to make the game more enjoyable for everyone. And that is why we play to have fun, not MAKE fun.
Not deciding delays the problem for now, and could have been achieved without the intervention and surprise of Xath's apparent pregnancy. I agree wholeheartedly that it was the necessary solution, since the conversation was happening before already-established events. Either that, or the oath needed to have broken and readministered in the intervening time, an action that might have been a solution that you saw as equally undesirable.

No one is, or has been making fun of you. They were expressing a serious concern initially about an action that you chose to undertake despite clear warnings from me, and secondarily about a solution that though it apparently caused a change in heart, does not necessarily logically demand one. As long as you can say, "OK, here's why that changed Archon's mind" or "See, here's why it makes a difference..." all will be well.

In conclussion, we're all good friends so let's not have this be a problem. It's just a game so get over it.
It is absolutely just a game, and not one so important that anyone needs to pursue a tract so faithfully that it harms any one else's enjoyment. Unfortunately, this means that dismissing another's concerns merely leaves a wound open that will create problems in the first place.

This whole thing was created because of taking characters too seriously. If one player is to be dismissed for reacting in kind, there has to be an understanding that the WHOLE thing is being taken too seriously, and that one person in particular is not the sole unreasonable party.

Which is just a long way of saying that "get over it" isn't a good way to end the discussion.

As I stated above, this was a big deal for all the players, and their opinions do matter. Trust that I will turn it to something enjoyable and interesting, even if it's not what any particular person wants it to be.

I'll try not to disappoint, if you all can do the same.

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
Universe: Just so I know what the decision is can you just state it-- What happened with the oath, and what happened with Xath being pregnant and such? I just want the final on this, so I know what goes in the journal :) I like the twists and turns no matter what they are, but just want to know what they actually are :p

Thanks! :D

The_Universe

First Post
The oath was not broken, as in-game Archon never decided which of the two conflicting things was primary. Xath is pregnant, at least insofar as everyone is aware. And probably *not* with a slaad egg, but I guess you never know...

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
The oath was not broken, as in-game Archon never decided which of the two conflicting things was primary. Xath is pregnant, at least insofar as everyone is aware. And probably *not* with a slaad egg, but I guess you never know...
Cool- Thanks again!

The_Universe said:
No one is, or has been making fun of you. They were expressing a serious concern initially about an action that you chose to undertake despite clear warnings from me, and secondarily about a solution that though it apparently caused a change in heart, does not necessarily logically demand one. As long as you can say, "OK, here's why that changed Archon's mind" or "See, here's why it makes a difference..." all will be well.

Just wanted to bump this statement/question up to make sure it gets answered. :)

Remove ads