• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP Pro question

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
OK So I got this new computer...a floor demo model (So it has all these preset settings). It's running XP Pro. It won;t let me right-click a lot of things I use to be able to with my XP home on my old comp. Also, the ctrl-alt-del gives me "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" ... How do I change these things?

Datt

First Post
It also sounds like you are not logging in as the owner, but just a user. I would do like John said and wipe it, if you can. I am not sure exactly what you will be able to do if you can't log on as either the owner or admin.

herald

First Post
Actually it sound like the security policy editor has removed functions. Using the policy editor is not for the faint of heart. The others may have a good point and you may want to use the system restore disks.

gariig

First Post
Reinstall because you will need an admin account to change the policies. If you JUST got it, a format/reinstall shouldn't be too bad.

Gariig

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
The accout that I'm using IS an Admin account....it says admin...So I should be able to change the settings right? Re-installing windoes seems like an extreem solution to what is just a settings change.

Right?

I've had the computer for a few weeks now..and everything is how I want it. I have all my programs loaded and working swell I'd rather not go thru the process of having to re-doo all of it over again if I don;t have to.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
It was a floor model? Why are you even hesitating to reformat? Who knows what settings some demented little booger has changed?

Myself, I'm of the opinion that "routine maintenance" on a computer includes a complete rebuild annually, if not twice annually.

John Crichton

First Post
Mercule said:
It was a floor model? Why are you even hesitating to reformat? Who knows what settings some demented little booger has changed?

Myself, I'm of the opinion that "routine maintenance" on a computer includes a complete rebuild annually, if not twice annually.
I agree. I usually backup, format, reinstall at least once a year. I see it like maintenance on a car. It just doesn't have to be done as often. :)

Sakzilla

Explorer
re-installs

Just remember that with new MS product activation, you are very limited in the number of times you can activate your "key" before you get a nasty "call MS Support" message. The OEM restore disk may not cause problems, but any Office XP-type programs will trip you up after 7 installs (even on the same machine).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads