• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(YBA) Kalath explores the workings of Wicht's Lair

Wicht

Hero
The Story thus far....

Kalath, being an unholy warrior, manages to gain employment in Wicht's Lair. he has met with Wicht, allied himself with werewolves and even won once in the arena in the city of the Bard.

He has also made some enemies and worked against some of the denizens of the Lair. Most notably, he interupted an evil ritual being performed by the cult of Tutul and freed the real Bard, once ruler of the city of the Bard.

Currently he has learned of a great influx of fighters, hoping to compete in the arena and has figured out they are being raised as zombies after being slaughtered in the arena.

When we left Kalath he was talking with Wilford, the ghostly caretaker of Wicht's Tomb.

Wilford looks intently at Kalath as Kalath asks him for information.

"What exactly were you wanting to know about?" asks the ghost.

graydoom

First Post
Kalath smiles. "Nothing in particular. Just anything that might be entertaining for me if I decided to investigate it further."

Wicht

Hero
"I see," says Wilford grimly, "It would not do though to enquire into Lord Wicht's war plans too closely. He, and others, might think you were trying to stick your nose in where it does not belong."

"The matter of the Holy Warrior in the city of the Bard though could be investigated if you desire. There is a reward for his capture. As well, there is one job...

...But it might be beyond you... It involves a demon..."

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
"I will of course endeavor to avoid being any impediment to Lord Wicht's plans."

"But tell me about this demon...."

Wicht

Hero
"There is a minor demon lord who helps guard the gates of hell who is growing troublesome. He is fairly well guarded but his elimination would certainly be desirable. His name is Jx'xrle."

"There is a passage in the city of the Bard, located in the middle of the Bizarre, in the southwest pillar of the city, which leads down to the gate. The phrase 'dead eyes' will open the passage for you."

"Look for Jx'xrle's quarters on the far side of the gate ring. He and his entourage dwell in a house of ruby."

graydoom

First Post
"Should I succeed in killing this demon and killing or escaping his entourage, are there any other demons or beings nearby who would attempt to avenge his death?"

Wicht

Hero
"That would, I suppose, depend on how quietly you managed to do your work."

"It is hard to predict the workings of the demonic mind so we could of course make no guarantees,, but you should be reasonably safe from reprisal if you do not advertise what you did."

graydoom

First Post
"I should be fine, then."

"Well, thank you for the information. I'll see what I can do about this Jx'xrle... and keep an eye out for that Holy Warrior."

If Willford has nothing more to say, Kalath leaves Wicht's Tomb and heads back across the cemetery to the tomb that leads to the werewolves' level, not particularly wanting to use the adventurer-crowded imp's tomb.

Wicht

Hero
The line is still formed outside the imps tomb. Kalath notices a couple of roughlooking men watching the line from atop a small rise a short distance away from the line.

The rest of the cemetery is quiet and Kalath will encounter nothing on his way back to the werewolf tomb.

graydoom

First Post
Once back at the werewolf tomb, Kalath enters and goes to the coffin that conceals the way downwards, makes sure the trap on it is disabled, and goes downwards.

Remove ads