• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You can read the original article here

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I'm not making a complaint about ENWorld, but rather about how people title and start their discussion threads, (probably everywhere on the Web). I'm one of those readers who, when I see a thread title that suggests a discussion I might be interested in reading, I mouse-hover over the title to see the introductory paragraph. If the first sentences confirm the subject is something I'm interested in, I'll then click into the thread and read more. But I'm noticing many first paragraphs that just say, "You can read the original article here," and that's all.

I'd like to suggest to poster: First off, make sure you use a good, descriptive, (and accurate), title for your thread. Second, if you're referring to an article located elsewhere, put a short description of the article in your opening paragraph, then link to it.

Don't make a reader have to click into the thread and then click through to the original article to get a first idea of what this thread is going to be about.

Bullgrit

darjr

I crit!
I usually ignore those popup intro paragraphs. I find the pop up nature of them annoying. I do see how they are useful to others. I'll remember this.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not making a complaint about ENWorld, but rather about how people title and start their discussion threads, (probably everywhere on the Web). I'm one of those readers who, when I see a thread title that suggests a discussion I might be interested in reading, I mouse-hover over the title to see the introductory paragraph. If the first sentences confirm the subject is something I'm interested in, I'll then click into the thread and read more. But I'm noticing many first paragraphs that just say, "You can read the original article here," and that's all.

I don't think that's done by the poster. I think that's just the way official EN World Columns show up in the forums, done automatically, if I'm not mistaken.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, that's software, not the posters. They're posting columns in the columns section, and the software mirrors the thread on the forum. They can't do anything about that, I'm afraid.

darjr

I crit!
I think he means a summary at the begining of the first post of a thread would be very useful to those browsing the lists of threads.

After looking at those popups I get his point. I could stand to start more threads that way myself.

Last edited:

Remove ads