you have 60 seconds to grab whatever you can around you before you are instantly teleported back in time 1,000 years, what would you grab?

Ryujin

Legend
I hear you. Where I live was heavily populated by lions, leopards, jackals and a variety of other dangerous creatures 1000 years back. Heck, there are still leopards and jackals living in the nearby mountains now. The closest water source is the Crocodile River which gets its name for obvious reasons. Not to mention all the venomous snakes. It isn't clear if there were any humans here yet; probably not quite, and if there were, they would be unlikely to be friendly. I'm sitting next to a garage filled with potentially useful tools, so I'd probably go and grab as many of those as I could carry. And I'd likely still be eaten by something within a week!
The septic tank caches in "Lucifer's Hammer" were the first place my brain went, when the thread was started, but I've never acquired copies of "The Way Things Work" volumes 1 & 2. I do have a couple of books on Native American leatherwork and patterns, but figured that they wouldn't make the 60 second cut.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Honestly, I'd be happier if it was 500 years ago. I'd have an easier time selling my skillset in the colonial times or just find a place to be forgotten in peace. In pre-colombian times I'd have a hard time making use of my skillset - because the tlacuils were a closed group- otherwise I'd have to become a very visible outcast, and it is harder to avoid altering history when you stick likea sore thumb.

My inhaler for my asthma
Same, plus other medications. Though I'd hope that pre-Industrial Revolution, the air might be easier to breathe.

Assuming I am fully dressed, I'd grab a jacket, hat, spare pair of glasses, gloves, messenger bag, Swiss Army Knife. And that's probably all I have time for.

Honestly, I'd be happier if it was 500 years ago. I'd have an easier time selling my skillset in the colonial times or just find a place to be forgotten in peace. In pre-colombian times I'd have a hard time making use of my skillset - because the tlacuils were a closed group- otherwise I'd have to become a very visible outcast, and it is harder to avoid altering history when you stick likea sore thumb.
What if you want to leave a time capsule for yourself? ;)

Remove ads