you have 60 seconds to grab whatever you can around you before you are instantly teleported back in time 1,000 years, what would you grab?

Are we talking teleport without error, or just plain, old, crappy, teleport. I would hate to land in the middle of a tree or rock.
That would be the least of your worries. ;) With Teleport without error, you would still arrive on Earth 1,000 years ago regardless of where Earth and the rest of the Sol system happens to be way back then. Without that spell, well it wouldn't be pretty.

Zardnaar

Legend
I cant believe it took that long in the thread to see this. I'd do the same and fire one up. I'm 100% certain I'd be dead within a day or two anyhow so might as well enjoy the last few.

Well it's really bleak in my situation
Even with outdoor skills and grabbing the cutlery drawer and whatever else no other humans, no crops, not much in tge way of fruit or vegetables to live off.

I'm not going back to pre Colonial days I'm going back to pre humanity with very limited food options.

Stone age would be an improvement.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Well it's really bleak in my situation
Even with outdoor skills and grabbing the cutlery drawer and whatever else no other humans, no crops, not much in tge way of fruit or vegetables to live off.

I'm not going back to pre Colonial days I'm going back to pre humanity with very limited food options.

Stone age would be an improvement.
You've got plenty of flightless birds to eat, and no competition!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Years ago when I was a kid I read Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle. It's about a comet apocalypse and the aftermath. Ensemble cast. One of the characters is a scientist who is diabetic, and while he knows how to get insulin it takes slaughtering a cow a month, which means he needs to have big allies and make himself worthwhile. One of the things he does is take a huge amount of reference books, quadruple bag them, and hide them in his septic tank. As part of the treasure he offers to be taken in.

This seemed like a great idea, so I bugged my mom and starting at Christmas I got an encyclopedia set called "The Way Things Work", which was an illustrated encyclopedia of technology. I see a 2 volume set from 1971 on Amazon, but this was around 20 thinner volumes.

Anyway, that's what I'd grab.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
If I had enough time, grab a blade/machete, a knife, a lighter, some jewelry, my copy of the codices, the pocket telescope, my pocket bible, a coat, boots, some toiletries, chlorine, and the solar lamp outside the door. As tempting as it would be to grab an electronic device, lacking the infrastructure needed to keep anything running and being maintained would mean a waste. Luckily, I live in an area that has been inhabited for hundreds of years, and I think it was relatively peaceful back then.

I'd also grab my plush bear I've had since I can remember.

Hex08

Hero
I have no survival skills so preferably more Irish whiskey than my body can handle. Also my telescope, the night sky would be amazing compared to what I can see now.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Try New Zealand. In the Southern Part. I'm screwed seven ways to Sunday.
I hear you. Where I live was heavily populated by lions, leopards, jackals and a variety of other dangerous creatures 1000 years back. Heck, there are still leopards and jackals living in the nearby mountains now. The closest water source is the Crocodile River which gets its name for obvious reasons. Not to mention all the venomous snakes. It isn't clear if there were any humans here yet; probably not quite, and if there were, they would be unlikely to be friendly. I'm sitting next to a garage filled with potentially useful tools, so I'd probably go and grab as many of those as I could carry. And I'd likely still be eaten by something within a week!

Years ago when I was a kid I read Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle. It's about a comet apocalypse and the aftermath. Ensemble cast. One of the characters is a scientist who is diabetic, and while he knows how to get insulin it takes slaughtering a cow a month, which means he needs to have big allies and make himself worthwhile. One of the things he does is take a huge amount of reference books, quadruple bag them, and hide them in his septic tank. As part of the treasure he offers to be taken in.

This seemed like a great idea, so I bugged my mom and starting at Christmas I got an encyclopedia set called "The Way Things Work", which was an illustrated encyclopedia of technology. I see a 2 volume set from 1971 on Amazon, but this was around 20 thinner volumes.

Anyway, that's what I'd grab.
Yeah the SAS Survival Guide would be another good grab, but unfortunately it's in storage so I couldn't get it in 60 seconds.

Remove ads