you have 60 seconds to grab whatever you can around you before you are instantly teleported back in time 1,000 years, what would you grab?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Oh! This shirt and book would come in handy:

1699214141525.png

1699214157423.png

60 seconds isn't long. If I had time to think about it first, I'd grab a bag and throw in:

• All of my wife's jewellery from her drawer.
  • Then I'd run downstairs and empty the spice cabinet, especially: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger. I'd grab my bag of chef’s knives.
  • The magnifying glass and Sweet’s Anglo Saxon Reader from the living room. At least i could start a fire when it's sunny.
  • A winter coat, walking boots from by the front door.
I reckon I could do that in 60 seconds. If I had any extra time:
  • The unopened bottle of 18-year old Ardbeg from the booze cabinet.
I would find myself in Somerset in 1023. King Canute sits on the throne of England, Denmark and Norway. Godwin of Wessex is my liege. If I could ingratiate myself with Godwin's court and avoid being tried as a witch, we would devise a plan to prevent the accession fo Harthacanute, solidify his claims, and prevent the Norman conquest.

I would introduce cricket, Kantian dialectics and sushi to the Anglo-Saxons.

This is definitely much harder on Americans, I suppose. I’d be sitting in the middle of Antwerp (Belgium), which at least is a settlement surrounded by walls.

Probably my best bet would be to immediately google “how to thrive in the middle ages as a modern person” or something on my tablet, make screenshots, and grab my coat.

battery won’t last me long, but I’ll try to memorise as much as I can from the screenshots.

Zardnaar

Legend
Probably bottle of booze to say good bye and find the nearest cliff.

I would be the only human facing starvation. There's no crops as such.

Polynesians won't arrive for another 200 odd years and that's up north.

Birds and fish is still a slow death. Winter would probably kill you and it's a 400km-800km hike to milder climate.

I know where fresh water is and where to find duck's I'm guessing birds are common enough.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
This is definitely much harder on Americans, I suppose. I’d be sitting in the middle of Antwerp (Belgium), which at least is a settlement surrounded by walls.

Probably my best bet would be to immediately google “how to thrive in the middle ages as a modern person” or something on my tablet, make screenshots, and grab my coat.

battery won’t last me long, but I’ll try to memorise as much as I can from the screenshots.

America easy mode.

Try New Zealand. In the Southern Part. I'm screwed seven ways to Sunday.

Remove ads