you have 60 seconds to grab whatever you can around you before you are instantly teleported back in time 1,000 years, what would you grab?

Kaodi

Hero
I would probably freeze with indecision and sheer rage that someone was committing that level of chronocide and take virtually nothing that would help me survive Winter in, like with Ryujin, Southern Ontario. Though I live closer to the Lake than he apparently does so I might have a better chance of finding a local settlement.

If you were in Europe you might be better off not taking weapons because if someone takes you for a commoner I imagine possession could be injurious to your health. Either way I probably die relatively soon, :D .

Backpack, artist's pad, journal, pencils, pharmacognosy handbook, an honest-to-G-d Copper Age hand axe I made, run past the fridge to grab some meat, the sack of potatoes in the pantry, and hope I make it to the front door for hat and coat. Hopefully I can make myself useful to the locals in the PNW before I die of exposure.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'd grab my always-packed camping backpack (some call it a bug out bag, but it's not meant for that, but can completely sustain me for a week). Guns are only as good for as much ammo you have, so I'd grab the .22 and a bunch of ammo, and some extra warm rain-proof clothes. I'd be alright for the PNW.

With only 60 seconds, I'd probably start with my work backpack. I travel regularly, so it's already loaded with basic OTC medicines, toothbrush and basic toiletries, and a small toolkit. A lot off the tech in there would be useless, but it would be a good starting point, and it's built to be portable.

After that, some clothes, jackets, and shoes would probably be easy to grab. If I had enough time I would rip the medicine cabinet off the wall of my bathroom. It's full of stuff like ibuprofen and Pepto, as well as a few things like nail clippers and files that could be used as tools.

I'd love to be able to take a bigger set of tools and reference literature, but I don't think it's realistic to believe a minute is enough time to find what I was looking for.

There was a point in time where I made a real "go bag" that had actual survival stuff in it, like life straws, meds, hatchet, etc. This is the first time I've thought about it in a while. Might not be a bad idea to re-prep it.

Ryujin

Legend
I would probably freeze with indecision and sheer rage that someone was committing that level of chronocide and take virtually nothing that would help me survive Winter in, like with Ryujin, Southern Ontario. Though I live closer to the Lake than he apparently does so I might have a better chance of finding a local settlement.

If you were in Europe you might be better off not taking weapons because if someone takes you for a commoner I imagine possession could be injurious to your health. Either way I probably die relatively soon, :D .

Given that most of Ontario was a massive forest, back then, it would likely take me a few weeks to make the 20 Km trek to Lake Ontario.

aco175

Legend
Compass and all the Bic lighters I can find, oh and my boom-stick.

1699143089826.png

Ryujin

Legend
Compass and all the Bic lighters I can find, oh and my boom-stick.

View attachment 321408

If it was 5 minutes I'd have added my Ruger 1022 and about 500 rounds of ammo, that I have in the gun safe, but the 1 minute time limit killed that. In reality I might make a go of it with a multitool and a couple of knives, if I could dredge up any survival training from when I was a kid, but after almost 50 years that's not very likely.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Honestly, I'd probably try to print out a copy of an online dictionary of the Pequot dialect of Algonquian, since I'd be standing in the middle of their territory... Assuming I didn't get insta-whacked for being the first white man they'd ever seen, I could probably use my (extremely) basic survival skills and local area knowledge to stay alive long enough to bargain/trade my way into receiving whatever help I needed to survive in the long term.

Ryujin

Legend
Just realized I could make my life significantly easier if I took 15 seconds to grab a spool of waxed thread and the 10 leatherwork needles that are on my desk, then the hockey bag with about 80 pounds of finished leather that's in the next room too :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

Remove ads