• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Your Biggest Gaming Pet Peeve

guachi

Hero
It's Monty HALL, people!

HALL, not HAUL.

I can't remember the last time I've seen this written correctly.

It's a guy's name. He was a long-time host of a game show, Let's Make a Deal.

It's not haul v. - to pull or draw with force; move by drawing; drag

It's not haul n. - the load hauled at one time; quantity carried or transported.

It's HALL. The guy's 95 and still alive. Get his name right!

For the love of... What is wrong with you people?!?!?

-------

So what's your gaming pet peeve?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Prescriptive action rubs me in all the wrong ways.

Example: "I move adjacent to the orc, setting Temerity up for her sneak attack!"

This is a thinly veiled way of telling people what to do on their turn, which may or may not be your intent, but it challenges immersion, and it obliges Jake to manage your expectations alongside his character's contributions.

:mad:

S

Sunseeker

People who get really REALLY angry over bad dice rolls. It happens guys, it sucks, we've all been there but seriously you're just getting way too angry. Okay, you missed, okay you failed your reflex save, okay you're dead, just CHILL.

EDIT: also, while I had heard the term "Monty Hall" I thought it was a joke about running a game like a Monty Python & the Holy Grail.

Demorgus

Explorer
But the term in the 2nd Edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide, Chapter 10 is Monty Haul Campaigns.

It's Monty HALL, people!

HALL, not HAUL.

I can't remember the last time I've seen this written correctly.

It's a guy's name. He was a long-time host of a game show, Let's Make a Deal.

It's not haul v. - to pull or draw with force; move by drawing; drag

It's not haul n. - the load hauled at one time; quantity carried or transported.

It's HALL. The guy's 95 and still alive. Get his name right!

For the love of... What is wrong with you people?!?!?

-------

So what's your gaming pet peeve?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
For me it's a tie between:

1. DMs asking for ability checks when I haven't described what I wanted to do. The old "You walk into a room, make Perception checks!" Ugh.

2. Players asking a lot of questions during the game when the things they want to know can be determined by describing what they want their characters to do.

Demorgus

Explorer
My actual biggest gaming pet peeve is the player who has to be super secretive about their character. They're usually working the fish out of water trope and more than likely are the also going to be the player who's going to try to have their pc either scoop up the treasure before the other pcs and/or try to steal from the other pcs.

innerdude

Legend
My biggest pet peeve is that one player (you know who you are) that simply cannot, for the life of him/her, create a serious character. And by that I don't mean creating a character that has no personality/quirks; I'm not expecting every character out there to play out as a stereotypical Lawful Good paladin.

I mean that inevitably, whatever they choose to create, it ends up more caricature than character. Their creation could make a guest appearance in a Looney Tunes cartoon and no one would suspect the character hadn't been specifically created for that entertainment medium. They can often be spotted by their names, which are pun-filled, double entendres, or both.

Their interactions with NPCs range from outlandish at best to downright ignorant of any convention how their character looks to others inside the fiction. If other players in the group or GM are looking for something more "grounded" from their gameplay, the players of these characters are generally indifferent to such pleas.

Recent cases in point --- a guy in my last Savage Worlds fantasy group told me he wanted to create a character based on The Tick comic books. I thought to myself, "Sure, he can be a big, overpowering muscle head, with a few lack-of-common-sense tendencies. But he'll still end up as an actual character." Uhhh, nope. In play, he was literally The Tick, in every nuance of personality and "decision making."

Case in point 2 --- in my last Star Wars Saga campaign where I was a player and not GM, one of the other players tried to build a facsimile of Captain Kirk and play him as if we were the ACTUAL Captain Kirk. Thus our group was saddled with Captain Jackson Titanium Dirk for the better part of 9 months. (I suppose it could be argued that this isn't even a caricature, but a parody of a parody of Bill Shatner, as it were. But while IRL I respected the player of Captain Dirk tremendously, it was still annoying.) :)

Remove ads