Your favorite lightsaber duel from the Star Wars saga

What is your favorite lightsaber duel out of all six Star Wars films?

• Qui Gonn vs. Darth Maul (Tatooine Desert) - TPM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku - AOTC

• Anakin vs. Count Dooku - AOTC

• Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku - ROTS

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
GoodKingJayIII said:
Luke vs Vader in ESB. It's simple yet elegant. Lots of cool moments in that duel that aren't necessarily flashy, but I just get tingles in my spine watching them (like Vader 1-handing the saber for the first 3rd of the fight!)

Yeah. Vader is so confident and poweful in that fight. He's toying with Luke, and then when he decides to start fighting it goes downhill really fast for Luke. As a fight I think it's better than the one in Jedi, but in the context of the movie I put the one in Jedi on top. It's a powerful moment when Luke takes Vader down.

LostSoul

Adventurer
For me, it's obvious: Luke vs. Vader in ESB. From the very beginning to the very end, it's pure bliss to watch.

Luke comes in, looking around, not knowing what's going on. He sees Vader through the smoke. Takes fighting stance, his lightsabre hums.

Vader turns on his sabre and the pure menace of its sound drowns out Luke's.

We all know how it ends.

The choreography isn't as good as the later films, but there is so much more going on in that fight. It's like special effects vs. story, style and substance. For me the story wins.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
stevelabny said:
didnt we do this already?

like RIGHT after sith came out?

Here
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=132668

But like someone said the fight scenes are fun so who cares.

And after a few months my vote has changed. Apparently I was stuck in Revenege of the Sith as being the greatest movie ever mode. Stupid Lucas and his mind control or was that my fanboy rearing his ugly head.

Last edited:

ESB Luke/Vader for me. Sure, technically the fight is slow, compared to what we've grown accustomed too thanks to Hong Kong martial arts movies, but damn, once upon a time, Star Wars films had real writers and directors, and the scenes were much more powerful back then!

Ironically, Obiwan/Vader from RotS was a wasted opportunity, IMO. If that scene had been filmed just a bit more clearly, it could have been the best of them.

Obiwan/Maul/Qui-Gon was technically the coolest of the fights, but at the end of the day I really didn't care what happened to any of those characters, plus it had a gimp ending.

Wombat

First Post
"Luke, I am your father."

This was not only a great combat, but it was the emotional centerpiece of the entire (first, real) trilogy. This was where the whole series shifted from being "mere" heroics to being something epic, something tangibly deeper and more powerful. Other duels were good, but this one combined heroics, tension, motion, light, and, importantly, emotional revelation.

Maybe it isn't the "prettiest", maybe it isn't the "most realistic", but it is something much more, much deeper than simple combat.

This duel was about mythology.

That was why I liked Lucas.

Taelorn76

First Post
I am torn between two. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Maul vs Vader and Luke in ESB.

Visually the Maul fight was better more complete, plus a two-sided lightsaber, C'mon.. :D .

But I think I will give the nod to Vader and Luke, Luke was putting is whole heart into that fight, Then to have it ripped out when you find out the most evil being in galaxy is your father and he just cut off you hand.
Briliant

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, RotS, hands down.

Great choreography, plenty of emotion and tension, and all this despite that I knew how it ended. Luke vs. Vader ESB is a close second, with the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Darth Maul duel getting third.

Joker

First Post
I liked the one where all of the aforementioned people all ganged up on Jar-Jar Binks and sliced, diced and chopped him into tiny little pieces and fed him to the birds.

A ribbon for whoever figures out what movie that's from.

If I could get the Darth Maul fight uncut, I'd probably like it more, but da**it, it's interspersed with scenes of the supposedly 14-year old queen and the stupid, bloody Gungans fighting heroically. Oh yeah, and the little b****. What's his name again? Oh yeah, Darth Vader. Can't stand that little . . . . *grumble*

So yeah, I voted for Empire.

Remove ads