Your favorite lightsaber duel from the Star Wars saga

What is your favorite lightsaber duel out of all six Star Wars films?

• Qui Gonn vs. Darth Maul (Tatooine Desert) - TPM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku - AOTC

• Anakin vs. Count Dooku - AOTC

• Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku - ROTS

johnsemlak

First Post
P.s. it hadn't really occurred to me until looking at thsi poll just how many more lightsabre duels there are in the original trilogy than in the prequals.

Edit: I mean more in the prequals than in the original trilogy.

Last edited:

Kai Lord

Hero
johnsemlak said:
P.s. it hadn't really occurred to me until looking at thsi poll just how many more lightsabre duels there are in the original trilogy than in the prequals.
I assume you meant to say how many more duels there are in the prequel trilogy than the originals. And that's with me totally forgetting the Mace/Palpatine duel when I made the poll. Doh! Can't be too many people's favorite though since no one seemed to notice that it was missing....

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Kai Lord said:
I assume you meant to say how many more duels there are in the prequel trilogy than the originals. And that's with me totally forgetting the Mace/Palpatine duel when I made the poll. Doh! Can't be too many people's favorite though since no one seemed to notice that it was missing....
That duel could have been really good... except Windu's assistant Jedi went down like punks and Palpatine's facial expressions were way too silly to be menacing. I doubt it'd see any votes if you put it in.

Demiurge out.

lissilambe

First Post
I went with Luke and Vader in ESB. I agree with the points, the emotional register, the personalities of both combatants, the visuals and lines. It's very solid.

Not may ultimate favorite though, but the one I voted for. See, I think I lean the most towards Obi-Wan vs. Vader in ANH for several reasons. I love Alec Guiness, I love that movie, and I like the fact that it's got the best "physical laws" continuity...i.e. Lucas had very specific ways the Force and dueling and lightsaber tech worked, and they stuck to it the best. I also like the less oriental frenzy version of combat more for some reason. When dealing with an energy weapon that slices through anything except other similar energy weapons, it just makes sense that you would fight in a much more controlled fashion. I know, I know...four-color cinematic combat, force guidance and all that. I have no problem accepting it, but I'm just stating why this one comes home for me. Why didn't I vote for it? Because long ago I decided that ANH is on a different level for me than the other five movies, and feel it doesn't compare to the others. The changes in story, feeling, atmosphere (for me) combine to make htis almost a different movie altogether. So I love Star Wars, and then in a different list, organize my favorites list for the other five movies. So ANH duel doesn't get voted on. It's just such a different animal.

I also loved the battle between Yoda and Palpatine. If this were the best battle, I'd probably go here. Can't really say why...I just love it. But don't view it as a lightsaber duel per se, but a throwdown of classic proportions. Just me and my opinion. For me, the silliness that Yoda's fighting style reaches (or nearly reaches for some viewers) in his Dooku battle the movie before are toned down a bit so that there is nothing but the deadliest seriousness. Plus the sheer tension of not knowing...I mean, we all know these two survive...but how? How can they both walk from this battle? It made for a great battle.

Take care,
Don

Remove ads