• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite sword from D&D lore

MacMathan

Explorer
Black Razor and Fedifensor were both in my early campaigns from the modules.

In grade school we all wanted Excalibur from Deities and Demigods.

Dioltach

Legend
Blackrazor comes a close second to the Spellcutter, a sword that allowed the wielder to destroy any spell cast at him with a successful attack roll.

Ooh, I did something like this in my Wheel of Time campaign. The wielder could cut through weaves, if he could see them or guess where they were.

Jhaelen

First Post
Very difficult. The first that comes to my mind is 'Ur' from the 3e Weapons of Legacy supplement. In my 3e campaign I introduced many of WoL using my own rules and versions of them.

Ur is a biface, i.e. the earliest type of a 'handaxe'. It's closely associated with primal forces and the concept of 'hunting'. To unlock its powers three rituals are required. Each ritual requires the wielder to hunt and slay an animal single-handedly, first a stag, then a wolf and finally a bear.
The slain animal's spirit then becomes part of Ur, granting it additional powers (and turning it into an (increasingly) intelligent weapon). To use the powers fully the wielder has to allow an animal spirit to 'take over'.

So, after completing all three rituals you have an intelligent weapon with three different personalities, each with its own voice and goals that can come to the fore and guide the wielder's actions.

In my campaign it was initially wielded by a barbarian and after his demise it became the prized posession of the party's rogue.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

I have three.

Blackrazor, of course. A Chaotic Neutral +3 sword that devours the souls of your enemies. And it just looks so cool!

Sword of Kas (1e version). I liked the fact that it had a nice history, dating it to before Kas and Vecna. For some reason, I also liked that it was a short sword. I guess because everyone seems to think that only bastard or two-handed swords can be "really cool and powerful".

Lastly...the 'serpent sword' from the Moldvey Basic D&D book (page B24). I couldn't find a pic of it on the 'net, but I'm sure it's out there. The sword blade looked almost like a cross between a scimitar (slight curve at the end), and a katana (tip was curved at bottom, but straight point at top). The hilt and pommel was of a snake...the tail at the pommel, the obdy forming the 'finger guard' (whatever it's called), the the 'cross-piece' where the actual blade starts was its body slithering into it's head which pointed towards the tip of the blade. (wish I could find a pic). Anywway, that sword just gave me ideas galore back in the day.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

(awesome old-skool rpg from Avalon Hill: Powers and Perils - Index )

Remove ads